Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i noticed my rear end had a bad seal (the one where the drive shaft connects to the 3rd member)what i am wondering is would i be able to change my seals at home without having to buy a special tool to do it thanx guys

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
It's called the "Input seal" and yes you can change it yourself. The only special tool required is a dial or beam torque wrench (dial more accurate) to measure the pre-load of the input yoke before you pull it. The 9" has a "crush sleeve" installed in it to set the pre-load on the pinion gear. Most people have this eliminated and a spacer installed when they have the third member professionally rebuilt. If you have a Chiltons or Haynes manual, it walks you through the seal replacement steps.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i got one for engine overhaul but not thr reg one i have a tourqe wrench can i buy a dial for it i see a picture of one i think not sure if its the same thing u are talking about but it just looked like a gauge u put on it for degrees

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no more help with this guys?gotta know exactly what ill need to do the preload cause im ordering parts wednsday thanx for the help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts