Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read somewhere, sometime back that when going to a 9" from an 8.8 that it requires a slightly longer driveshaft. Or, a longer yoke on the 9" 3rd member to make up the difference.

Is this accurate?

I read it was 1 1/2" difference and then somewhere else that it was 5/8" difference. Needing to bridge the gap one way or another when going to a 9.

Also curious about another aspect.

My 90's 8.8 has a rear u joint yoke that is a flange type off the pinion. I have read there are this style available for the 9 in either an early big car type. Or, a last of the truck 9 applications with mm bolts like my 8.8. I'm wondering if this late, last of the 9 truck application yokes would make up whatever length difference I might need.

Not looking to start an 8.8 vs 9 debate. Already been there and done that. I have the 9 and its going in, I just need to nail down some last minute specifics.

Anybody?

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
As soon as you find out let me know cause I have a 9" in the driveway with 5:13 gears abou tto be swapped into my wifes 87... I got a 9" from an 81 F150 and it had the wrong yoke on it, so I got the right one from a bronco.. So I just need to pull the 3rd member and get the gears installed.. I'm looking at doing it in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spectre said:
I got a 9" from an 81 F150 and it had the wrong yoke on it, so I got the right one from a bronco..
So, which yoke did you get???? Which one are you considering the right one???? The flange type I referenced, but with late model mm bolts?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,839 Posts
my 8.8 in my 88 had a regular style Yoke as did the 9" i swapped in so my driveshaft did not require any changes to it. I would stick with the yoke style personally. a ujoint is much easier to replace and cheaper to. find a rear driveshaft from my year and you would be fine then just sell the one you have now

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, see..........I have a line on a flange style yoke for a 9" from the last of their truck applications. It has mm bolts, and uses the same 1330 Ujoint that my current stock 90' setup has. So, I'm real inclined to pick up this 9" flange style yoke as it would likely be a direct bolt in deal.

My biggest concern is the need for a different length driveshaft, but........since it seems that difference would be minimal maybe I shouldn't worry about it. Afterall, as soon as I get a new lift going I will likely be changing and upgrading the driveshaft anyways.

Just thought there was a length difference when going from 8.8 to 9".

·
Registered
8 Posts
the 9" and the 8.8" driveshaft are diferent. I changed the shaft when I went to a 9" on my 84, BUT the difference in the length of the 2 shafts looked like it was less than the slip yoke travel, so you might get away with the 8.8" shaft.

both shafts had a double cardan at the Tcase and the u-joint at the axle was the same size

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I don't know the exact yoke I got, but it was from an 85 bronco that had a 9"

Now I'm wondering if my driveshaft will be long enough... god I hope so.. I just spent 120 bux on having it rebuilt last month.. Now to throw money back at it to legnthen it will irritate me.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Bringing it back from the dead..

Anyone have any idea on how much longer a driveshaft has to be when swapping from an 8.8 to 9" Anyone actually done it?

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
i swapped a 9" into a friends '90 bronco a few months back, and the driveshaft did come up about 1" short. but he was lazy and didnt want to do anything about it, so we just stretched it and bolted it in (there was enough play in the slip joint).. he's been offroading 2 or 3 times with it since then and it has not given any problems. i'm sure it's not the best thing to have it pulled apart so far, but it seems to be working fine.

nonetheless, i'd say it was about an inch short of what it shoudl have been.. better to have the driveshaft a little on the short side than too long though, in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I'm trying not to swap my 9" in until I do the SAS, but my driveshaft is broken in 1/2 and needs to be repaired by our next outting which is before the SAS. :(

Frustrating.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I swapped a 9" into my 88' almost a year ago now. the was barely an extra inch of travel needed, I put almost 10,000miles on it now with no problems. Even though in november I installed a ZF that shortened that gap up ALOT. Both axles have a yoke on it so its easy just have to get the proper u-joint.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I swapped a 9" into my 88' almost a year ago now. the was barely an extra inch of travel needed, I put almost 10,000miles on it now with no problems. Even though in november I installed a ZF that shortened that gap up ALOT. Both axles have a yoke on it so its easy just have to get the proper u-joint.
Good to know.. I was thinking of just swapping the 9" in and see if my front driveshaft will be able to fit.. When we broke it on the trail and I tried to swap it the front driveshaft was about an inch to long.. My front driveshaft is from the rear of a bronco and lengthend to fit. I hope it does because if not then next month when I sas then I'll have to have the front driveshaft lengthened because of the increas in lift.. Grr.. It's always something.. :toothless

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
So if getting a 9" off a early 80s Bronco, can you use that same driveshaft on a newer 90s Bronco to do the swap?

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
If you swap the yoke from the 8" to the 9" you can..

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Okay, so If I want to swap a 9" into my '95 what do I do about the ABS Ring and VSS?
That's a whole different can of worms there.. You'll have to search for that one..

There's nothing wrong with the 8.8 except for the c-clips.. Why not just do the c-clip eliminator?

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's a whole different can of worms there.. You'll have to search for that one..

There's nothing wrong with the 8.8 except for the c-clips.. Why not just do the c-clip eliminator?

i have a 94'. what is the c-clip eliminator. and how do i do it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts