Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much gear oil goes in a 9"? I don't have an owners manual so i'm not really sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW going from 4.11's to 4.88's on 38's was well worth it!:rockon

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Don't know offhand.. I just know you keep filling it until it comes out the fill hole and then close the filler hole..

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
Spectre said:
Don't know offhand.. I just know you keep filling it until it comes out the fill hole and then close the filler hole..
:stupid same here...also if you have a limited slip...dont forget the additive.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
redwagon said:
:stupid same here...also if you have a limited slip...dont forget the additive.
And this may sound dumb, but put the additive in first, then fill it up with gear oil.

BTW - I love the skinny Boggers. I was gonna get a set for my truck but 38s would have hit my damn headers so I had to go smaller.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gear lube

Well i guess the reason i asked the question is because i have oil coming out the ends of my axles. I thought maybe i might have overfilled it. But i guess i just have leaky axle seals. Are there inner axle seals on a 9"? I know there is on dana axles, but not for sure on the 9". BTW i think it took about 5 1/2 quarts to fill up my axle so you guys were close when you thought it took 5. I appreciate the info. Thanks:beer

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
powerboater said:
Well i guess the reason i asked the question is because i have oil coming out the ends of my axles. I thought maybe i might have overfilled it. But i guess i just have leaky axle seals. Are there inner axle seals on a 9"? I know there is on dana axles, but not for sure on the 9". BTW i think it took about 5 1/2 quarts to fill up my axle so you guys were close when you thought it took 5. I appreciate the info. Thanks:beer
There are only outter axle seals. You have to remove the axle and press the bearing off to replaced it, then press the bearing back on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts