Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a leaky pinion seal on my 9". I have read both my repair manuals on the truck and I cannot grasp this whole per-loading issue. One part says that you need to establish the pre-load torque prior to disassembly (okay I got that), then it says to re-torque the pinion nut back to this after replacing the pinion seal, but it also refers to the torque spec of the pinion nut being 160 ft lbs. How am I supposed to tighten the same nut to a torques of 20 to 40 inch lbs and also 160 ft lbs????????????????? All I want to do is replace a leaking POS pinion seal, not rebuild the entire third member.....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The preload affects the drag on the pinion bearings. After you do a few you can get this done by feel. If your using your old bearings then the drag should be around 12 to 15in lbs.

if you have 3.50 gears make sure the pinion is put back in the same location and there may already be a factory mark lining the pinion up to the ring gear.

The pinion has to be pulled from the case in order to get the correct preload. Keep in mind the new seal will create extra drag.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts