Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after doing some searching and no luck "maybe i typed in the wrong crap" i have a question. I need to replace the rear axle seals, so my question is were all the rear 9" the same or are there any differences in them as the years went by like are the 78-79 any different than the early 80's. And if so is there a way to tell which one you have. Thanks

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
There is a difference between an 81 9" and a 76 9"... I know that. The shafts and spline count is the same, the pinions are the same, but the difference is the 4 bolts that hold on each axle shaft. They 70's are much bigger and have fine threads, whereas the 80's have a 3/8 16TPI bolt

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
There is a difference between an 81 9" and a 76 9"... I know that. The shafts and spline count is the same, the pinions are the same, but the difference is the 4 bolts that hold on each axle shaft. They 70's are much bigger and have fine threads, whereas the 80's have a 3/8 16TPI bolt.

And there may be one sealed bearing on a side and one with a race, that is normal (replacement)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, for the help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts