Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just found out from a friend of the previous owner that the carrier "i think he said" in my 8.8 is welded together,which makes me a little nervous. i have a 9" from a 77 f150 2wd. would this fit under my truck with the exeption that i switch gears? thanks

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
You're not sure if you its welded up?...easy enough to check...jack up the rear end and turn one side...if both tires go one way possible welded or has a locker if they turn opposite of each other than its an open carrier.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well im wanting to say he had to change a bearing or something, but some one had been in there andscrewed it up so he had to cut it in half and welded it back together. he described it to me as a "bandaid"

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
kemicalburns, and a few others have done the 9" swap, but your 8.8's gears aren't going to fit in the 9"

You can either buy a "new" carrier, or get the correct gears if you do the 9' swap

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
1st, Verify what gears you have and check the 9" and see what it has. You may get lucky. You could take the 3rd member out and take it to someone to regear. All you would need would be an R & P. It would be good to go ahead and replace the bearings while your at it, carrier, pinion and wheel. I'm kind of suprised your 83 doesn't already have a 9.

·
Finally got SAS'd
1,142 Posts
BlueBronco said:
1st, Verify what gears you have and check the 9" and see what it has. You may get lucky. You could take the 3rd member out and take it to someone to regear. All you would need would be an R & P. It would be good to go ahead and replace the bearings while your at it, carrier, pinion and wheel. I'm kind of suprised your 83 doesn't already have a 9.
My 83 came with an 8.8 stock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts