Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend i put a new rear driveshaft in my 79. During a brief test drive i tore up my third member. When i pulled out the third member the ring gear and pinion gear had almost all the teeth ground off half way. Additionally the two bearing caps were broke into four pieces. What might have caused this, i don't want it to happen again. The previous owner must have regeared it because the axle tag was stamped 3.50 ratio but after counting the teeth it revealed that it had 4.11's. This was an open carrier. Maybe a bad gear setup? Any help would be appreciated.
:banghead

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
powerboater said:
Last weekend i put a new rear driveshaft in my 79. During a brief test drive i tore up my third member. When i pulled out the third member the ring gear and pinion gear had almost all the teeth ground off half way. Additionally the two bearing caps were broke into four pieces. What might have caused this, i don't want it to happen again. The previous owner must have regeared it because the axle tag was stamped 3.50 ratio but after counting the teeth it revealed that it had 4.11's. This was an open carrier. Maybe a bad gear setup? Any help would be appreciated.
:banghead
I don't quite follow you... did it go from "working fine" to suddenly "exploded"? If this resulted from a gear setup, bad isn't the word...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
9"

It has worked fine since i bought the truck a few months ago. It just "exploded" i guess all of a sudden. The driveshaft was really worn before i replaced the u-joints. But it did work fine up until it exploded.

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
That doesn't make any sense at all then... Almost had to have been something in the housing that finally got picked up by the ring gear... but even then, mass destruction of the scale you describe seems like something that had to have taken place over time (all the teeth missing from the ring gear).

Oh well, the good news is, 3rd members are plentiful and inexpensive at any junkyard :beer

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have a 9" center section for sale has the gears your lookin for to, 4.11's and I'll even throw a front d44 ring and pinion in on the deal.If your interested.Its 31 spline to.I'll take pics of it when I get home it only has about 5000 miles on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
carnage

Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and bought detroit locker carrier and 4.88 gears for the front and rear already. I always look at breakage to be an opportunity to upgrade. It was a little doggy with the 4.11's and 38.5" boggers anyways. :beer

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
38.5" boogers and 4.11's on a stock nine. and your wondering why the 3rd member blew up.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
jopes said:
38.5" boogers and 4.11's on a stock nine. and your wondering why the 3rd member blew up.
:histerica :doh0715:

·
Registered
689 Posts
i exploded 4 9'' rears then i figured out the weak link....the housing was flexing and busting the main caps then destroying the rest of the parts....GET A WELD ON TRUSS .....i blew all 4 rears with a tired 400 since the truss and a built 460 no more rear problems

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey Bill I might be interested in those 4.11's you have what are you askin for em. That and how much do you think it would cost to ship them from where your at, I'm in N. Idaho.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts