Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i am new to broncos. bought it a couple weeks ago but it has no power and glitches i guess you could say at low speeds. I have done a complete tune up replaced tps replaced coil fuel filter and am at the point where i just would rather swap the motor in from the 90 f150 in. the bronco is an 87 with a 302 as well. Now my question is how much changing around would be involved or is it a direct swap? Do I use the old ecm and harness or do those got to be swapped as well? Also the f150 is 4sp and 4x4 how much work would be involved in putting the 4sp in the bko that is an auto? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
FIRST before you go re-inventing the wheel swapping in a costly new engine, why not start with the basics and find out what's wrong with your current one by "pulling codes" from the vehicles computer to understand what "faults" are indicated so you can DIAGNOISE the problem rather then just throwing money at it....this is your first line of wrenching defense...

For how to pull codes and fault explanations go here: www.fordfuelinjection.com but you'll need a OBD-1 or OBD-2 Ford Code Reader with book to perform TESTS.

My 86 302 EFI uses the OBD-1 costs around $29.99......Kragen/O'Reillys....

Get yourself a Haynes Repair Manual ~ asap
www.broncolinks.com ~ additional tech source

Non OEM Mods can be difficult, IIRC swapping in a 4 speed requires hanging a clutch and brake pedal assembly, pressure plate/clutch, flywheel, tranny mounts, speedo cable, shift linkage/shifter and maybe moding the sheetmetal on the floor to accomodate the manual tranny...just for starters.....

For added performance you could add a set of GT40 or 40p heads and headers along with the Sixlitre "ignition and timing upgrade"....

Start with the simple $$$$ issues first and see what you come up with...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the haynes manual there is no codes and the 90 pickup i have so swapping the bko motor into the f150 and the f150 motor into the bko would only cost me time. Then i will sell the f150 as is b/c i have no need for it. I was just wanting to know if the harness and ecm will be the same. the f150 motor has a lot less miles no leaks and just overall has a lot more power and runs a lot better.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
If that's the case then great, do a "video" or pics of both engines and ALL harness connectors attached to their respective components to compare for any differences there are and go from there, 87 vs 90 may have some minor changes........?

www.bronoclinks.com has a wealth of info.....follow up with some F150 guys here as well........

When I swapped in my 302EFI long block, to keep the harness connectors in "location order" before disconnection I used blue painters tape to idenify and lable every connection on both M/F sides so when the new engine went back in it was a no brainer where everything went for any sensor...

You're only need to disconnect the "partial harness" that runs across the front of the engine area to lay it over and out of the way from passenger side to drivers side etc....it's very easy...

So you may have to invest some time here using the "search" above and broncolinks for more info....

Shouldn't be that difficult a project.....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts