Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a 351 longblock for my 1990 bronco. It has a 302 in it now (check out my sig). I want to go back to a 351. I can get a donor 351 from a 92 f250. Will the parts that I need for the longblock fit from the 92 to the 90? I will be pulling everything from the lower intake up along with the valve covers and oil pan and whatever else I will need. Is everything the same between the two engines?

Thanks.
Solid.
:beer

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's not a complete engine, just a long block. No intake, valve covers, oil pan. It's just a block with all rotating stuff and the heads. I'm not sure if this is what I want to do you. I have a VERY tight budget. That long block is $1300. Just looking for something on the cheap. I've got a jasper E4OD coming, now I just need a good engine.

Here is the link to it http://market.autopartsfair.com/ford-car_engines/catalog-item-1400.html .I called and confirmed it doesn't have all the extra's. I does have a good warrenty though.

Thanks
Solid.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
You will need upper and lower intake, headers, fuel rail, pan, pickup, oil pump, op drive shaft, distributor, flexplate and thats about it.

Oh yea, and a 351w/E4OD computer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. I was going to get all that from the donor but from your other reply, the 92 parts won't work on the 90. So I guess I will be looking for a complete engine. I haven't found a 1990 donor yet. What other years are the parts swappable?

Speaking of the computer, were is it located. I need to check it. The P.O. said that when they replaced the 351 with the 302, they didn't change any computer out. I didn't think it would run with the wrong computer but I want to check it to make sure.

Thanks
Solid.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
If you can get all the required 351W swap stuff(GAK listed it or you can search for 351 swap) then you'll be fine. Only one thing changed on the engines from 90 to 92 that I know of(dizzy is remote mount TFI, the TFI module is in a heat sink on the driver's side inner fender). The body style changed but under the hood is the same except for the dizzy/TFI module. The big change was in 93 when they went to the different serpentine setup and 3G alternator but you could just use the serp setup off your 90 302 on a 93 or newer engine to solve that problem.

Is this what you were asking?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
If you can't find a 351W dizzy with the TFI mounted on it I might have a spare if you're interested. Actually I probably still have everything you'd need for a 351 swap into 90(except for the spare engine).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I can use all the stuff from the 1992 351 except the dizzy? If that is the case, I can get everything I need minus the dizzy/tfi. I can get the whole engine for $300. I'm not sure if the oil pump is good in it or not.

If I do go with the swap and I can't find the parts I need, I might get with you RLKBOB. Thanks for the offer.

I might just look into making the 302 run better. I know there is some issues with SD/MAF. It's not sure which one it is but that's another thread coming soon.

Thanks for the help guys.

Solid.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
You have an E4OD trans so if you have any sort of limit on your budget then don't even consider MAF. It's very expensive with an E4OD and you won't see too much of a difference if any with a mostly stock engine(opinion, can't tell you that from experience). If you're looking for power improvements you can do quite a few upgrades and still keep your SD. I've done quite a few power enhancements with my 351 swap and I still run speed density and it runs great. So there's really no need to waste the money on a MAF conversion(again in my opinion).

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
solidpvc said:
I'm not sure if the oil pump is good in it or not.
Just out of curiousity why did you make this statement??? There is no excuse for you not to pay 29.99 and buy a new oil pump when putting in a new engine. also be aware that the 302-351 dizzys differ because the oil pump rod is 5/ 16 in a 351 and 1/4 in a 302, so the oil pump and dizzy will need to match.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
81Bronk: The guy i would get the donor from said that it lost oil pressure. Yep, I don't think I would use the old oil pump. Also, it would be a 351 to 351 swap. I won't be pulling any parts off the 302. It would be a 1990 351 long block with a 1992 351 donor for parts that don't come with the LB.

RLKBOB: I don't really want to convert, I just need to figure out what to do. The 302 that the PO put in has the MAP (?air temp sensor?) sensor laying beside the fuel injectors. This is supposed to be in the intake manifold. Were it is supposed to be, there is no hole. So my guess is that the 302 was originally MAF or at least the intake was intended for MAF. It doesn't really make sense to me. I know it's not MAF now but the MAP sensor has no place to plug into. I don't know if I'm making any sense or not but without that sensor being were it is supposed to be, won't that mess up the air/fuel mixture?

Thanks
Solid.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
The MAP sensor is on the firewall. The one in the intake is the air charge temp sensor. Has nothing to do with MAF. Just that some were in the air box and some are in the intake.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, it's the ACT not MAP, thanks, I wasn't sure what it was called. But the ACT has something to do with the SD setup right? I thought that the SD setup used the ACT the help calculate the air/fuel ratio. Am I completely wrong with this thinking?

The sensor was covered with oil gunk (i cleaned it) so I know it was used at some point, just not this engine that I can tell. I will try to get a pic of where it should go based on others I have seen. Here is what it looks like now.

Thanks
Solid.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a pic of where the ACT "Should" go. I don't see anywhere else it would go.

Thanks
Solid.

·
Registered
277 Posts
if the engine was losing oil pressure, I would have the crank checked and replace the mains and cam bearings...

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Is that port for the ACT sensor covered with something or is it cast that way. If it's made that way then the intake must've been swapped with one from a truck that has the ACT in the air box(or the wiring harness was changed).
Is that a pic of the 351 you want to put in your truck or is it the 302 that's currently in there? If it's the 351 then you need a different lower intake that has that port(I have one BTW). If it's your 302 then don't worry about it as long as the 351 you get has the port there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The intake was cast that way. It is the 302 that is currently in the bronco. Having the ACT just laying there and not plugged in somewhere effects how the engine runs right? How would I go about fixing this problem. The air box that is in the bronco now, is the original, from the original 351 and doesn't have a place for it. Could I extend the wires for the ACT sensor and get an air box from the junk yard? I'm not sure if I can do the engine swap right now. I might have to get the 302 running better at least until tax time.

Thanks
Solid.

·
Registered
220 Posts
302/351 sensor questions!

Looking for clarification. I am in the process of doing a 351 swap the engine coming out is a Mass Air Flow (MAF 302) with the air charge temp sensor (ACT) in the air box.

The 351 has a whole in the intake on the drivers of the upper intake almost in the center of the intake. I am gussing this is where the ACT sensor went on that vehicle originally and I can just block it off.

There is also a sensor on the 302 behind the air intake on top of the engine block just before the bellhousing. It is on the passengers side. What is it? :shrug

Is there one on the 351?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts