Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a great deal on a 6" lift but it is for a 90-96 bronco and mine is an 87....i was wondering what the differences are? if its possible to use the lift on my 87

Thanks

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
if your has dual shocks and it has single front shocks or vise versa you would be down 2 shock, or up 2 shocks(if it comes with shocks), but its 100% bolt on for an 80-96 f150 or bronco

also a little secret, the 90-96 don't make since
80-86 was the 2nd gen for the fs bronco(or 3rd gen bronco )
87-91 is gen 4
92-96 is gen 5

so your 87 is basically the same as the 90, minus some wiring(maybe) and the transmission which falls in the 90-96 list which is probably a typo to 80-96

if you get it, and plan on putting some bigger tires on there, and your 87 has manual hubs from the factory, i would look at upgrading them because 90% chance they are top hats

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great thanks guys ill pick that up, it comes with shocks and hardware but i plan on replacing bushings, shocks, etc since it is a used kit...comes with a 4" body lift too but probably wont use that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if your has dual shocks and it has single front shocks or vise versa you would be down 2 shock, or up 2 shocks(if it comes with shocks), but its 100% bolt on for an 80-96 f150 or bronco

also a little secret, the 90-96 don't make since
80-86 was the 2nd gen for the fs bronco(or 3rd gen bronco )
87-91 is gen 4
92-96 is gen 5

so your 87 is basically the same as the 90, minus some wiring(maybe) and the transmission which falls in the 90-96 list which is probably a typo to 80-96

if you get it, and plan on putting some bigger tires on there, and your 87 has manual hubs from the factory, i would look at upgrading them because 90% chance they are top hats
:whiteflag whats the difference?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
if your hubs have bolts around the knob, don't worry about it, but if they are smooth(no bolts around knob, then they are top hats, which means the wheel bearings are closer together, and the top hats are prone to failure dew to heat, and even my stock 28" tires heat them up pretty good.

another way to check if you have tophats is if the hub slides off when you take the wheels off (only 87 and early 88 had them(like my 88)

just look in the baba looey's thread stickied in this thread for more info.

but all this wont affect a lift kit, just be on my next list of upgrades before or after the lift.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts