Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what I need to add to put a 94 style starter on my Bronco. The only wire on my starter is the cable coming from the starter relay but the 92-96 starters have a solenoid with another little wire on them. Is this little wire on the solenoid an ignition wire like the little wire on the starter relay? If so why does the new style need it but not the old style? Just wondering because I have a spare newer style that is brand new.

·
Banned
19,564 Posts
You'd probably have to change the flexplate.

The wiring is easy - just put your original heavy starter wire on the solenoid's top post, then run a small wire from there to the solenoid's small terminal.

But you'd be better off with the right starter. Just watch the forums for posts like "My truck won't crank" or "My starter makes noise" - you'll find someone to buy that newer style. ;)

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
I haven't seen one yet but it sounds like the horrible GM style that all the solenoids have heat soak issues..............stay as far away as you can

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We make the style you have pictured above at my plant(that's why I was asking, if ya know what I mean). I don't think we still make the older style b/c in the 3 1/2 years I've been here I've never seen one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 95 starter on my 86, I didnt hafta change the flexplate

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't think you would need to b/c I can take the engine and or trans out of my 90 and swap either or both into the 92 - 96 body style.

·
Banned
19,564 Posts
Starters are specific to engine & trans, and on some applications, even year. 86eddieb must've swapped a later starter for the same application as his truck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I actually went to the junkyard and removed a starter off of a 1995 F-150 with a 302 and auto trans. Came home, ran the small wire, and installed it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
the 94 one should be a hi-trq. unit as found in the later mustangs. There are hi-trq units IIRC that were in the later fox mustangs, not sure as to when the switch was made...sometime around 90-91 I think.

The older EFI starters (non hi-trq) actually are more prone to heat soak, and if you a increase in comp. are kinda crappy. Mustang guys for years have been swapping to the hi-trq. units for awhile when getting some types of headers (as the heat can...but not always get to them) and when adding comp./C.I./boost.

Both are a direct swap. as far as bolting up I am preaty sure you can even swap them with the man. to auto and vise versa. I know on mustangs you can...but the f150 may be diff.

·
Registered
554 Posts
While researching swapping to a man. trans. I found that the mustang and F150 had the same flywheel in the 302's from np435, t5, and m5od. I wander if its diff. for the F150s if going from auto to man. with the starters?

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
Ford on manual flywheels used 164 teeth in the ring gear

With the autos it was only 157 teeth thats the difference and the diameter may be the same but some have more or less counter weight on the flywheel get it wrong, and you have vibration like mad:banghead

1 - 13 of 13 Posts