Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1990 bronco with a 5.8 and i want to install a E303 cam for my bronco, but is there anything else that is recommended to upgrade like the heads or something.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Headers, Y-pipe, High flow cats, Throttle body and Edelbrock intake manifold.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm a big believer in sizing cylinder heads and intake/exhaust capacity to the engine's displacement and RPM range. That said, I aint an engineer so I perty-much try to copy the better factory designs. What that means is that if better performance is the goal, one of the first things I would do is replace the skinny 302-sized heads that Ford has been using on 351W's for years with something better. How much "better" will depend on individual requirements but for most uses, I've found that GT-40's work perty-good. In fact, as far as breathing ability, they are very close to the original C9OE and DOOE heads which Ford used for the first few years of 351W production.
After that, it'd be an improved exhaust and possably do some intake work. About the last thing I'd do is install a bigger cam into a 351W truck engine that still has factory 302-size heads.

Just my 02 .

DGW

·
Registered
37 Posts
A fresh set of valvesprings wouldn't hurt. As far as GT40's go they are still a 302 sized head and depending on how much money you had to put into them you would be better off getting a set of aluminum heads. You can get a decent set of heads pretty cheap now days.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm the same boat as you although a different cam setup..

Not sure if you have already bought that cam, but in case you haven't a nice cam that is applicaton friendly is the Comp Cam 35-255-5.

I'm actually in the middle of a top end upgrade and at least on Dyno Sim it makes good power, actually a tad bit more than than what I expected. What I did is try to emulate the full Edelbrock Performer package at a fraction of the price..

I'm using the following...

BarePro Comp Alum Cyl heads part#3035(website has them listed as as 176 runner by 64cc x 2.02 x 1.940 which is incorrect) these heads have 175cc runners x 60cc pocket x 1.940 and 1.600 valves with gold Comp Cams rockers part#19043-16 and fully upgraded stud mount and stainless valvetrain

Edelbrock Performer #3881 upper and lower intake

Comp Cams 35-255-5

Summit G9036 shorty headers

Either Bassani or locally made upgraded Y pipe and full exhaust

Underdrive pullies

I don't have the dyno sim handy as I have i at work, but If i recall it made about 300-320ishhp (nice but not all that important) and most importantly about 380-420 peak torque at about 3-3500rpm which is about where im at doing 55-60 mph up the passes with my truck towing my offroad toys.

The Pro Comp heads did require some minor machining that any GOOD machine shop should have the capability to do, but were well worth it compared to the Edelbrocks as I saved a significant amount of money and have much more quality valvetrain components versus what the Edelbrocks have. The heads do use standard length Chevy valves which is cool since the standard length Chevy valves are much more inexpensive than the Ford counterparts.

I suggest you talk to your local quality and qualified machine shop for heads versus buying them from Summit or Jegs, you will find that they can build competitive packages that include better quality parts at or below the prices from off the shelf items.

·
Registered
109 Posts
double check that you can use that cam. I can't remember if the 90 model blocks were set up for the roller cam....I know Gen 1 Lightnings used a regular flat tappet hydraulic cam. i have a hydraulic roller in my 88...but it's a 95 F-150 long block that came with a roller cam. at the very least, you need the roller lifters, retainers and the spyder for the swap. like someone else said, aluminum heads are pretty inexpensive now.....why waste money on cast iron? I have Trick Flow Twisted Wedges on my Mustang and I love 'em.:thumbup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys thanks a lot for the info. it seems like i need to go back to the drawing board and calculate this one out. its gonna take a lot of work, but im gonna get it done. once again thank you.

p.s.
anyone out there from the SoCal area (san diego) know a good reliable mechanic. that would help out a lot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Gt40 heads, most over rated Ford product on the market for the price. Want good heads, pay the price, GT40 heads flow rate is no where near impressive at all.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A fresh set of valvesprings wouldn't hurt. As far as GT40's go they are still a 302 sized head and depending on how much money you had to put into them you would be better off getting a set of aluminum heads. You can get a decent set of heads pretty cheap now days.
Yeah on the new valve springs. That should be a given, even on a stock rebuild.

Far as Ford heads go.....
I consider the term "GT40" to be little more than Ford marketing hype.
The larger valves & port sizes found on the GT40 is exactly like what is found the original C90E and DOOE 351W heads. Non-GT40 302 heads have much smaller ports & valves and always have. To get a better idea of just how undersized most 351W heads realy are, their 1.78/1.45 valves are the exact valve sizes found in post-'64 289 2V engines.
In other words, when we install a set of GT40's on a newer 351W we are actualy getting our 351W back up to where it was origonaly...and back up to where Ford should have kept it all along.

Aint saying that there aint better heads to be had. Just saying that the GT40's are a close rendition of the early 351W head and that the heads found on 351W's produced after the early '70's are simply revamped 289/302 sized heads with larger bolt holes.
Leastways, that's how I see it.

DGW

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
as most of the rest of ya said, a nice set of twisted wedge heads are 1000 dollars. they flow way better then stock, are carb approved and will save you some weight off your front end. cant go wrong :thumbup

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
CK, you got a part no. on those heads ? I'm considering a full power build-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts