Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Board,

My question is two part.

1) My 90 Bronco has 200K miles on it and I don't believe the timing belt has ever been replaced. Is this something I should have done asap? What is the reputation for timing belt longevity on a 90 Bronco?

2) What else, mechanically, should I look out for at the 200K mark? (tranny oil, coolant, etc.)

Thanks! Clint

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
Hello Board,

My question is two part.

1) My 90 Bronco has 200K miles on it and I don't believe the timing belt has ever been replaced. Is this something I should have done asap? What is the reputation for timing belt longevity on a 90 Bronco?

2) What else, mechanically, should I look out for at the 200K mark? (tranny oil, coolant, etc.)

Thanks! Clint
your timing belt hasnt been replaced because you dont have a belt
broncos have chains witch hold to time/abuse alot better then a belt would

if you just got your bronco you should look at just changing all fluids for a start and take it from there

:thumbup

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 95, I appreciate the heads up.

Is there anything that is known to go bad on a 90 bronco? For instance, the timing belts are legendary for going bad on honda accords. Knowing this has allowed me to be proactive and keep my car running good.

It would be helpful to know what to watch out for as my bronco enters its elder years.

Thanks, Clint

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 1990 has 197,000 miles on it trans works fine and its orginal.

mechanically the only problem my bronco ever had was a real bad rear main seal leak that i fixed,and sometimes in 4 wheel drive it gets a loud clunk sounds like a u joint.

·
Registered
668 Posts
the longest a transmission lasted in my bronco was 120k, but it was slightly abused; 4wd burnouts, cross country towing, towing at high speeds, and my mom drove it as a DD most of the time ( I think that is what really killed it).

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
and my mom drove it as a DD most of the time ( I think that is what really killed it).
Haha, your mommy broke your truck.

j/k but that's the same thing roman said about HIS broke-ass rig, too. :rofl: These E4OD tranmissions will last quite a long time if properly maintained and cared for. 161k here, not a single problem, and knocking on wood!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Haha, your mommy broke your truck.
Yeah, when she is drivin you need fulltime deployed airbags so you dont get whiplash. The scary thing is that she is drivin an Excursion now:shocked, it needs a rebuilt tranny now too:smilie_slap.

But if you take care of your e4od, it will take care of you. I have 187k on my bronco and the timing chain is still good, I think. So i wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
1990 eb timing chain

whats up yall,i have a 1990 eb 351 i started the truck up today to move it from one side of the street to the other,and as i went onto reverse the truck just shut down,would that be my timing chain?,and i also noticed that my fuel pump still runs long after i turn the key off,when i tried to start the truck again it spins faster than normal,any ideas?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.