Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchase a pair of electric doors off a 96 bronco and was planning on swapping them out for my 90 electric doors. They have the bullet style electric mirros and the door panels are layed out better with the switches in a more comfortable position.:thumbup Unfortunatly, the guy who removed them cut the wireing harnesses on the drivers side and two of the connectors are missing on the passenger side..:banghead

I did find this link showing a manual to electric conversion but the pictures are missing.. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102483&highlight=door+swap

My question is can I use the 90 door harness with the 96 doors or do I need to find the door harnesses from a 96??. My 90 does not have electric mirros like the 96 does...

Thanks
:rockon

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump...

No one has any ideas here?

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
I'm no expert on the subject but I'd assume that some changes were made to the plugs and all when they redesigned the body style... At any rate it shouldn't be hard to over come somehow... Go rip some trucks apart in the JY and see whats up

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
I know one thing for sure. The door harnesses from teh passengers side goes all the way throught the dash and into the Ds door. Thats why he probably cut it, he didnt feel like pulin hte dash apart to get the entire harness out in one piece. Best thing to do is eihter pull out your old wires out of your old doors and reuse them or get a 96 door wiring diagram and a 90 wiring diagram and start splicing, may have to run some extra wires as well.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I new that there must be some folks here with experiance on this topic. I guess one other option would be to gut my 90 doors, transplant the empty shells as they should be identical and reuse my harness and inner doors. then the only issue will be to mount the external manual mirros or hook up the electric mirrors somehow... thanks again everyone for another perspective. :thumbup

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
I am willing to bet the wire colors never changed, but a quick look could confirm this. The switches are in fact different and in different locations. I think they are nicer in the 96, so I would probibly just patch in the wiring on the new door.

I would think the power mirror would not be terribly hard to figure our either. Without looking at it I am guessing 6 wires total. One power and ground coming in, and then two wires to each mirror. If you decide you don't want to mess with them, then just find some non-powered ones and ignore the switch

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:

I just wanted to post an update to this. I finally scored a full wiring harness complete no cut for my new doors... When I do this I will turn this into a write up for sure.

Thanks everyone for your advise... :thumbup

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good luck and I'll be waiting for a write up. I'd like to swap my doors too.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll still have to cut & splice several circuits. It's easier if you got the pigtail connectors off the donor dash & floor harnesses. Your '90 doesn't have courtesy lights in the doors, so that's one circuit. It MIGHT not have ground wires in the doors, so that's another. And its PW/PM/PL connectors are certainly a different shape & location from any '92-96 door harness's. If your new door harness was built for RKE ('94-97 optional), you'll have a lot more work whether you add that module or not.
Ok but question, what is RKE option? I also thought that with the harness it would leave me with maybe a couple splices to make, one for the door lights and one for the remote mirror control but at least the connections from door to door would be in tact... no?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts