Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I am resurrecting a '90 with a 302, stock from the tires to the top. There are a few problems though and I'm hoping some veterans here can help me out. The kid who had it installed an aftermarket alarm on it (for whatever reason) and I think it keeps draining the battery. I'll come out and it'll just be dead. Also the thing shakes like the devil around 45 mph. A few of the tires do look a little questionable. What else can I (someone with no mechanical training) look for that would cause this? TIA!

·
Registered
610 Posts
for the tires, get them checked out and balanced or replaced, questionable tires are unsafe.

for the electrical draw, it could be the aftermarket alarm. then again it could be anything else. Take it to autozone or somewhere and have them check the battery (free check) to make sure it can hold a charge. The battery you have may just be no good. Then if the battery checks out, unhook the power from the alarm tos ee if thats the cause, if not, start pulling fuses one at a time to see which system in your truck is drawing power when it shouldnt be (if you pull out the winshield wiper fuse, and the current draw stops..then check everything that leads into that one fuse). A test light from the parts store (just a few bucks) will really help out here. Electrical problems are too broad to diagnose over the net with this little description.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, that sounds like a good place to start. Thanks. I know my description is vague, but it's based on my expertise which is like, none.

·
Registered
610 Posts
sorry forgot to include. to check to see if you're battery is drawing power while you're pulling fuses, you will need a multimeter (buy one at radioshack or the parts store). You will always have some slight draw for your radio and clock etc...but something thats draining your battery will be huge in comparison. follow the "parisitic draw" test on this page. (the pictures are better than i can describe)

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl565h.htm

·
Registered
610 Posts
The chart above shows hondas expected parisitic draw...i checked mine (i like to say everything on my truck works normal) and i have a 20 milliamp draw, which is the radio keeping its presets etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts