Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a bad time trying to figure this out. 90 Bronco, 5.8 engine. The transmission is locked in park and and it won't turn over. We can bump start it by jumping the solonoid, but it still won't shift out of park. The brake lights work, so I don't think it's the boo, and that wouldn't cause it not to start, right? The neutral safety switch would cause it not to start, but it still should shift I would think. Fuses are ok, I'm stumped. Any ideas would sure be helpful. Thanks in advance

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
A little more info on the truck would help as well as a better description of it not turning over. Any history of issues? Sounds like an internal issue with the column.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm having a bad time trying to figure this out. 90 Bronco, 5.8 engine. The transmission is locked in park and and it won't turn over. We can bump start it by jumping the solonoid, but it still won't shift out of park. The brake lights work, so I don't think it's the boo, and that wouldn't cause it not to start, right? The neutral safety switch would cause it not to start, but it still should shift I would think. Fuses are ok, I'm stumped. Any ideas would sure be helpful. Thanks in advance
More than likely, your ignition upper actuator arm is broken. There's a rod that runs up the to of the steering column from the start swith. That rod is attached to another piece that is turned by the ignition key lock assembly. That upper piece is called the actuator and is what keeps you from moving the trans shifter when the lock assy is in the lock position.

So, when it breaks it doesn't push the rod attached to the starter switch when you turn the key. And, if it breaks in the Park position, you can't move the shifter.

The part costs about $20 at your ford dealer. You need to pull the steering wheel and the lock assembly to replace it. Heres a link that showes how to replace it. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70454&highlight=actuator+arm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ditto SnowTom's answer... just had the same thing myself this past summer. Took me a few beers to figure it out but once I did, was a fairly easy fix.

·
Super Moderator
26,966 Posts
yo,

and try turing the steering wheel while turning the key
wiggle the both of them
"...reach low on the column, just below the dash,
and shoved pick tool into the column and pulled down.
That thing not only rolled over but it started...SO IN CONCLUSION REACH UNDER YOUR DASH AND PULL DOWN ON THAT COLUMN SWITCH ACTUATOR ROD (with the key on) AND SHE'LL LIKELY START RIGHT UP. He told me yes the switches die but they can also "walk" up the column and and get so loose the rod coming down from the key will not actuate the column switch(it's also a sign the $11 switch is about to die)..."
Source: by Sixlitre (Malcolm H, Eddie Bauer) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32646&highlight=actuator+sixlitre

for later years;
Key Stuck in Park Position; "...This is from da 96 Owners Guide; page 60; "...If the key is stuck in the LOCK position, move the steering wheel left or right until the key turns freely... If your vehicle’s gearshift lever is mounted on the column: 1. Put the gearshift in Park. 2. Set the parking brake fully before removing your foot from the service brake. (This will avoid “binding” or “loading” the park gear if you park on a grade.) 3. Turn the ignition key to LOCK 4. Remove the key; This happens at times on the 96; since it was new; so I do it da Ford way above; good idea too since it ops the parking brake thus avoiding cable/conduit freezes Try "jigglin'" the strg wheel a bit while gently trying the key; if a no-go... You may need to jack-up the front tires..."
Source: by miesk5 at FSB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts