Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what all I will need to change to perform this swap? Read a little about it and I know Ill need the y pipe, computer, engine wiring harness....anything else related to the difference of SD to obdll?

My motor has about had it and I've found a 95 351 kinda locally for $250 and was planning on tearing it apart, replacing the all bearings, rings, and possibly a little more cam. been putting the guy off till I can find out all the details to the swap.

But, Ive read something about trannys might have diff seloniod packs for diff computers....

Thoughts?

Arent this 95, 96 roller motors?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,507 Posts
If the 351 is a SD then you should be fine with your current harness, and yes you will definitely need a new EEC. If the 351 is a MAF motor which would be great, you'll want the engine and injection harness off that motor and the EEC too.

If you're able to keep the harness from your 302, you'll have to change a couple of connections, nothing major. For the '95 harness, there are quite a few differences in the the connectors and even the pin outs for certain components like the wiper motor. The alternator on the '95 should be a 3G so you'll need to make a change on your current harness to accommodate that as well, that is unless you've already done the 3G upgrade.

You shouldn't have a problem with the solenoid pack in your tranny.

Either way for $250 I don't think you can go wrong..

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got no clue if the 95 351 is SD or not....Still reading on this swap...And I found out its not obdll which is, from what Ive read, a good thing due to all the other sensors needed for that.

wish there was a page that had the specs for each year listed...ie...what year what motor was offered and the hp/torque ratings of each,....what years for sd, obdl, obdll, years for roller motors, yada yada yada

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually been looking and found that the 95 is mass air, rated at a measly 210hp/325ft/lbs torque where as my 302 is SD, rated at 185hp/270ft/lbs...not that much of a difference...hope it would be noticeable from the drivers seat to make the swap beneficial. All the more reason to keep reading to try and get more umph from it.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
If the 5.8 is SD grab the computer and everything is pretty much plug and play. If it's MAF better yet, but there is a little bit of repinning at the harness to do, and welding some new bungs in for o2 sensors as well.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the 5.8 is SD grab the computer and everything is pretty much plug and play. If it's MAF better yet, but there is a little bit of repinning at the harness to do, and welding some new bungs in for o2 sensors as well.
Its a 95 like I said so from what I read, it should be Mass Air, or MAF.....
If I grab the y pipe, there will be no reason to be welding bungs for O2 sensors right?
Planning on getting the engine wiring harness, computer, and the Y pipe... That should be it right? Motor mounts too? Or are they the same?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Its a 95 like I said so from what I read, it should be Mass Air, or MAF.....
If I grab the y pipe, there will be no reason to be welding bungs for O2 sensors right?
Planning on getting the engine wiring harness, computer, and the Y pipe... That should be it right? Motor mounts too? Or are they the same?
the banks are wider on a 351 then a 302, so it won't fit unless you can weld a spacer to widen the Y. The easyest way to tell if it's MAF is if it has a meter right after the air filter.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,507 Posts
Another way to tell is to check the lower intake on the drivers side. If the there is an IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor there it is more than likely an SD.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the banks are wider on a 351 then a 302, so it won't fit unless you can weld a spacer to widen the Y.
I am aware of this and is why I am also getting the Y on the 351. So you mean I still have to widen it? Im not followin ya....If it fits the 351 in the bronco it came out of, why wont it fit mine? Might have to change a piece from the Y to my muffler but thats no biggie.

Another way to tell is to check the lower intake on the drivers side. If the there is an IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor there it is more than likely an SD.
Are you telling me some 95's are SD and some are MAF, and I should check this to be sure?

Just confused....

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,507 Posts
I am aware of this and is why I am also getting the Y on the 351. So you mean I still have to widen it? Im not followin ya....If it fits the 351 in the bronco it came out of, why wont it fit mine? Might have to change a piece from the Y to my muffler but thats no biggie.
Yes if you're keeping the y-pipe from the 351 you're getting you're fine..

Are you telling me some 95's are SD and some are MAF, and I should check this to be sure?
There are some '95 MAF 351 rigs, if the engine has an airbox w/a MAF meter connected to it, it's MAF. If it's missing the box, you can check the 4 digit catch code on the EEC

BIO0 is a MAF 5.8.= anything else it SD. You can see a list of all of the codes here: http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=17

As far as the trannys go, do you have an E4OD in your rig now, and do you know what kind of tranny was in the rig the engine came from. If the tranny engine combo is different, the EEC. won't work.

Just confused....[/QUOTE]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts