Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a sheet of cardboard under the Bronco and after a week found 2 small spots about the size of a silver dollar. One at the rear of the engine from the bottom of the bell housing and the other from the front of the engine but so far I cannot determine where. Are these worth repairing or can I wait for them to become more significant? Would it be wishful thinking that any Bronco would not have some small leak?

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
I put a sheet of cardboard under the Bronco and after a week found 2 small spots about the size of a silver dollar. One at the rear of the engine from the bottom of the bell housing and the other from the front of the engine but so far I cannot determine where. Are these worth repairing or can I wait for them to become more significant? Would it be wishful thinking that any Bronco would not have some small leak?
If the truck is all original yes. Seals wear out and degrade over time, even if mileage is low, so leaks are no surprise on a 20 year old vehicle. That said, you can have a leak free Bronco, mine leaked like crazy for years but I changed some seals and gaskets and now I can park wherever I damn well please without dripping anything.
Personally after all the years I spent moving drip trays and parking in the street and after experiencing how nice it is to park in the driveway without worry I won't go back. So to me it's worth it. Your leaks could be a number of things. Front of the pan could be pan gasket or front seal. Rear could be pan gasket, rear main seal, or valve covers. Check the valve covers first. Every now and then mine will get loose and drip oil down the engine and off of the pan. Tighten them up and the leak goes away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fix those bad boys. Obviously you are thinking about it if you put the cardboard under it and scoped it out. You will learn a lot about your truck and give her a longer life by keeping these "small" things fixed.

I would definitely check the valve covers, only because that was the first oil leak I fixed on mine and it's easy to do. Twice, since I didn't torque down the bolts enough because I was scared of warping the cheap aftermarket covers I bought.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Its 99% the rear main seal and valve covers or oilpan. I've never had an older vehicle that didn't have a slight leak in the rear main lol. The gaskets everyone used in the 80s and nineties eventually disibtigrate into nothing. Fixing leaks is always good and worth it, yeah you could wait until its worse, but what happens when you don't realize how worse it gets and your engine siezes?

·
Registered
731 Posts
If I had to pull the engine or trans to replace a rear seal, I'd definitely consider that time to do some upgrades on the engine..

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Its 99% the rear main seal and valve covers or oilpan. I've never had an older vehicle that didn't have a slight leak in the rear main lol. The gaskets everyone used in the 80s and nineties eventually disibtigrate into nothing. Fixing leaks is always good and worth it, yeah you could wait until its worse, but what happens when you don't realize how worse it gets and your engine siezes?
Actually, I had a drip or two start about 12 years ago. It's maybe 3-4 drips now, still have not fixed the leak as it really has not gotten any worse. If it's rear main or oil pan there is a lot of work going into this.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If it's a relatively easy fix, yes. If you have to pull the engine/tranny I wouldn't sweat it. Sounds like a very minor leak, from your description.

Btw, your engine won't "seize" because of an oil leak, but it damn sure will if it has no oil in it.
Back in my young, dumb, and broke days I had a Mustang that leaked/burned a quart every 60 miles! Made sure it never ran dry and drove it like that for a few months. :toothless

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Actually, I had a drip or two start about 12 years ago. It's maybe 3-4 drips now, still have not fixed the leak as it really has not gotten any worse. If it's rear main or oil pan there is a lot of work going into this.
True, but in 80 more years it might just drop right off on the highway!

:goodfinge

·
Registered
69 Posts
If it's a relatively easy fix, yes. If you have to pull the engine/tranny I wouldn't sweat it. Sounds like a very minor leak, from your description.

Btw, your engine won't "seize" because of an oil leak, but it damn sure will if it has no oil in it.
Back in my young, dumb, and broke days I had a Mustang that leaked/burned a quart every 60 miles! Made sure it never ran dry and drove it like that for a few months. :toothless
60!?! Lol, wow!

·
imdabes
937 Posts

That's what happens when it leaks long enough!:toothless

1 - 10 of 10 Posts