Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tryin to figure out what the heck is wrong with this truck. when i first got this truck it ran good, then i went an started it one day, and it started missing like an SOB. i tuned it up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter), and it still wont run good. i also noticed it sometimes idles up and down, instead of a good smooth idle, but not always. what can i look into? what should i try? getting this truck running will decide if i fix it or shit-can it! help me out!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm tryin to figure out what the heck is wrong with this truck. when i first got this truck it ran good, then i went an started it one day, and it started missing like an SOB. i tuned it up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter), and it still wont run good. i also noticed it sometimes idles up and down, instead of a good smooth idle, but not always. what can i look into? what should i try? getting this truck running will decide if i fix it or shit-can it! help me out!
If you did a tune up, check and re-check your firing order. I know it sux when people tell you that, but it is easy to screw up, believe me I know, I did it and it took forever for me to figure it out! check your plug gap and each wire to be sure each wire works, I have gotten bad wires straight outta the box. Search "idle problem" there are tons of possibilities, and tons of info on it here about it, but you will need to search. good luck and don't shit-can it, no bronco is beyond repair!

·
Registered
142 Posts
If not wires or something like that then, mabey its your crank or cam sensor if they are bad they can throw off timing pretty bad. Do you have any engine lights on ? And the fluctuating idle could be the IAC sensor. Try to pull codes u might have to take it to a shop so they can pull codes for ya

·
Registered
142 Posts
O, I almost forgot check timing if ya have a timing light mabey it jumped hopefully not but mabey. And does it miss more at idle or a rpms

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tried to clean the egr today, and that did lotsa nothing. im 100% sure the wires are good, and i did check the timing, even tried adjusting it some while the truck was running, but still didnt fix anything. and its not giving me any codes. didnt look into the crank or cam sensors though. that may be tommarow's mission.

something else i noticed today, it smells like a fuel refinery under the hood when the truck is running, like its getting too much fuel or something... any thoughts on this? maybe the fuel pressure regulator? lemme know!

thanks to those who have posted so far, keep the idea's coming, you help is really appreciated!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Could be the fuel pressure regulator or a leaking or bad injector, also check the fuel filter mabey is plugged. Pull each injector and if ya pull one and it runes the same that’s the bad one when ya pull one and it runs worse or shuts off then that ones good. If I think of anything else ill let ya know

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
small update.... i looked at a new egr today, and i noticed how easy it was to push that little valve in on the bottom, when the tube threads on, and i compared that to mine... mine was stuck. so, i put a lil PB Blaster on it and then took a punch and knocked it free again. tried to clean it up some more, but its just filled with scale and rust... and when i put it back on, it made a tiny bit of difference, but not enough to say it was even worth it. am i still on the wrong track here? or should i just get a new egr and be done with it? this thing is really getting to be a pain!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts