Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 1991 Ford bronco 5.0 302 I recently took my battery out to charge it and replace the terminals. After a long day I ended up putting the battery in backwards. After replacing alternator, fusible links, ign. module, fuel pump, starter solenoid, batt terminals, and computer yet to no avail. My car will start, it will throttle up in park, and in nuetral. I have good gas pressure, fuses were checked, two new relays. When I put in drive or 1 or 2, it will not accelerate properly, it feels like it’s trying to tow a house

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I have a 1991 Ford bronco 5.0 302 I recently took my battery out to charge it and replace the terminals. After a long day I ended up putting the battery in backwards. After replacing alternator, fusible links, ign. module, fuel pump, starter solenoid, batt terminals, and computer yet to no avail. My car will start, it will throttle up in park, and in nuetral. I have good gas pressure, fuses were checked, two new relays. When I put in drive or 1 or 2, it will not accelerate properly, it feels like it’s trying to tow a house

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco 5.0 auto
25 Posts
following. My 86 has the same issue but mine has been sitting for years. I'm trying to resurrect it.

·
Super Moderator
29,095 Posts
Yo Folger93c,
Welcome!
I merged your two threads.
Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader

PCM stores the Self-Test program in permanent memory. When activated, Self-Test checks the EEC system by testing memory integrity and processing capability, and verifies that various sensors and actuators are connected and operating properly.

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch. Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.
Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO & KOER.
A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.

BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS
Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.
Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.

E4OD Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is a LED with an overdrive on/off switch on instrument panel.
Try turning switch off and drive it.

Notes;
Skip Scoping Engine for now.
Quick Test is Self Test.
Etc
See my Vacuum leak test in post #11 @ Help with dtc codes and idle
Tip "When vacuum leaks are indicated, search out and correct the condition. Excess air leaking into the system will upset the fuel mixture and cause conditions such as rough idle, missing on acceleration, or burned valves. If the leak exists in an accessory unit, such as the power brake, the unit will not function correctly. Or Air Conditioning when in MAX mode may switch to Defrost."

Here are the 1990 F Series/Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive (similar to your 91) @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
Slow scrolling for my slow Comcast Highest Cost Blast Internet..
Suggest you download the docs for faster scrolling and to use the page index.

1991 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via via Dezo's Garage @

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via member BroncMom

For any questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie section. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that requires 50 non-padded posts to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.

See How to add your Signature @ Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum by BigBlue 94

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To: Upload Images To Posts, Search and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc

Try to find time to participate and vote in our next Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to Winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership!

Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts