Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Ford Bronco Nite edition 5.8 351
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Blue Wood Hardwood Wood stain Metal

So I just bought this rig a couple months back from a buddy and had it trailered out to Cali. I went about smogging it and she sniffs clean but had a evap leak.
so I smoke tested and replaced the canister and solenoid up front. Smoked again and it was coming out the vent so I went about replacing the vent, pump and entire tank with new gaskets of course. Tested again and it’s still not holding pressure, so I’m outta my 30 days driving permit and I’m getting desperate, here’s my ploy.
I’ve machined a plug the same diameter as my filler tube and I’m going to plug it up so when tested it holds pressure. My only concearn would be him pressurizing it before clamping up front and he would notice the lack of air coming out. I will continue to investigate but these are desperate measures to keep her outta the junk yard. Thoughts or concerns?

·
Super Moderator
29,093 Posts
Yo LurkBeardo,
Welcome to our family of Big Broncos!
Some info by Ford, ignore those that you have addresses with new parts, for now because that may have a defect.
"
A3 VAPOR TUBE INSPECTION
  • Inspect vapor tube and fuel vapor hoses for kinks or pinched areas.
Are tube or fuel vapor hoses kinked or pinched?
YesNo
SERVICE or REPLACE tube or fuel vapor hoses. VERIFY service.GO to A4.
A4 VAPOR HOSE INSPECTION
  • Inspect vapor hose routing between fuel tank and body for pinch.
Is vapor hose pinched?
YesNo
LOOSEN fuel tank and REROUTE hose. VERIFY service.GO to A5.
A5 FUEL VAPOR VALVE INSPECTION
  • Remove fuel tank.
  • Remove evaporative emission valve.
  • Inspect evaporative emission valve for open air passage through orifice.
Is air passage open?
YesNo
INSTALL evaporative emission valve in fuel tank. INSTALL fuel tank. System test complete.REPLACE evaporative emission valve. VERIFY service.
A6 FLOW TEST (FUEL TANK FILLER CAP INSTALLED)
  • CAUTION: Do not use other high-pressure air supplies as damage to the evaporative emissions canister may result.
  • Install hand pump and pressure gauge Rotunda Vacuum Tester 014-R1054 or equivalent in fuel vapor hose at test point B1.
  • Hand pump to a maximum of 17.2 kPa (2.5 psi).
Does pressure drop to zero immediately?
YesNo
System flow OK. GO to A2.PERFORM Pinpoint Test Step A3.
A7 FLOW TEST (FUEL TANK FILLER CAP REMOVED)
  • CAUTION: Failure to remove fuel tank filler cap may result in damage to the fuel tank.
  • Remove fuel tank filler cap from fuel tank filler pipe.

Item​
    Part Number​
    Description​
    1​
    —​
    Test Point B2 with Tee​
    2​
    —​
    Test Point B1 with Tee​
    3​
    —​
    Test Point B2 Without Tee​
    4​
    9D653​
    Evaporative Emissions Canister​
    5​
    —​
    Test Point B1 Without Tee​
    6​
    —​
    Close Off Line​
    7​
    —​
    To Fuel Tank​
    8​
    9G271​
    Vapor Tube​
    9​
    9G297​
    Vapor Hose​
    CAUTION: Do not use other high-pressure air supplies as damage to the fuel tank may result.
  • Install hand pump and pressure gauge onto tee or fuel vapor canister nipple at test point B2.
  • Hand pump to a maximum of 17.2 kPa (2.5 psi).
Does pressure drop to zero immediately?
YesNo
System OK, no service required.PERFORM Pinpoint Test Step A4.
..."

Here is the 1990 F Series/Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive (similar to your 91) @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
Slow scrolling for my slow Comcast Highest Cost Blast Internet..
Suggest you download the docs for faster scrolling and to use the page index.

1991 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via via Dezo's Garage @

As you've done, for any questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie section. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that requires 75 non-padded posts to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc

Please find time to participate and VOTE in our next Full-Size of the Month Contest (soon to be described as Quarter) & later in the year, the Full-Size of the Year Contest @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes⚠ They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!

Al

1 - 2 of 2 Posts