Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to say that this is my 1st post. What I'm working with is a 1991 silver aniversary edition that I just picked up for on of those 2 good 2 be true deals. My problem is with the ignition/steering column. 1st off when I turn the key as far as it will go the starter will not engage. The previous owner used a pair of pliers to push the rod on the steering column further and with the key in just the right position it will start. What do you think the issue is with this??? 2nd issue is when I pulled the steering column apart and reasembled it (to try and fix the starting issue)the shifter will no longer move out of park! I had no problems with the shifter until I worked on the steering column. Is there a safety switch thats not making up ????

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well heres the bad news...the key doesnt exactly fit the ignition. I've actually been able to get into quite a few of my buddies rangers/broncos/ f150's/bronco II's (insert other ford products here) with my Ford keys but just jiggling them some. Even on years after they switched from two keys to just one, my ignition key has opened doors and started models as late as 98. I would either have the ignition re-keyed, or replaced. Also is it the original ford key? sometimes they where out and dont work exactly after a while, or its a bad copy. Auto Zone carries them for about $12, part number LC14060 and comes with the keys. While its apart you may want to replace the ignition switch, its only $10 new, but you can probably get away with the old one.

As for it not shifting, do you have your foot on the brake and the key in the "on" position? If you do, and it still does not work, you may have not put the column back together. I'd recheck your setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem fixed! The lower actuator rod was broke. The shifter was stuck in park due to the broken piece of the rod sliding in just far enough to lock the shifter. I used a small screw driver though a small slo in the side of the column to work the broken piece out. $10.77 at the local dealer and I'm of and running again.

The search info worked great!

Thanks,
Eric:chili: :rockon :thumbup :beer

·
Registered
610 Posts
damn steve, i didnt read any other posts until now on this thread. Should have searched. I'd not had the truck long before posting this. My appologies.

I'm glad you got it working. I'll leave my kooky ideas to my self.
I'd sweari cant shift out of park without my foot on the brake...but the trucks not here so i should keep my mouth shut

1 - 7 of 7 Posts