Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Centurion Classic C350 - 7.3 IDI / E4OD
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
WareWolf MoonWall's Centurion Classic C350 posted in this thread is kind of rough (most of them are when they reach this age, ours certainly is), but I'm super glad to see it and happy that he's working on it and it's going to live a fresh new full life again. These things are pretty uncommon (in the 11 years they were made, Centurion only built about 6200 of them between the C150 and C350 models), so it's awesome to see another one turn up and come back to life.
Thanks for the feedback about the engine swaps. I'm not there yet, just kind of a lingering curiosity in the back of my mind, same as a Banks turbo charging kit. Since I've gotten the truck back it's running much better, though I'm dealing with a few gauges that are irritating.
  • Fuel gauge is advanced about 25% (empty at 1/4th and full at 1/4th past full) but otherwise seems accurate.
  • Tach seems to be sticky one moment and then wildly flailing around the next. Just replaced the tach sensor even though the original was testing OK on the volt meter - no difference.
  • Also have no backlight on the radio..
Maybe a wiring issue since they all seem to run through the same fuse? Always something eh?

Anyways - you are correct in that it's a bit rough. It rides well for its age and what it is, and with the recent works seems to start, run, stop like a champ. Part of the adventure is the love going into the project. I've wanted one of these since I first saw them in the 90's, so it's likely also in a "forever home" now. I do live on a few acres, so it's life will be pulling triple duty as a commuter for my family and service dog, as well as homestead tasks and overlanding. We will be building a new house here in the next couple of years so it may get recruited for some of that work too.

To be fully transparent since I know some are eager, this is likely going to be months in the making, of not a year or so. I have a full-time job and a family, so I get to what I can when I can. I farmed out the initial things just to get a third opinion, address the reliability, and stop the bleeding in my driveway. Rust isn't really an issue (front floor pans need replaced but otherwise healthy), but it does have some worn paint / primed areas, it needs the top welding at the bronco top revisited, and some dents managed before I paint it. I'm having some of the work done for me, and some of it I'm doing with the help of a friend that likes to wrench. I am not a mechanic, but I have worked on several old / classic vehicles and I'm not afraid of tools or youtube ;)

Anyways, I'll update once I know more. If anyone has any quick thoughts on the gauges feel free to pass them along. If anyone lives in NE Oklahoma area and wants to turn the wrench, I'd also not turn away the assistance lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Today was a good day. I got the rear window moving and was able to for the first time open the rear door. Looks like the switch is wired backwards when the rear tailgate was replaced, and everything needs lubricated. Beyond that, the lock cylinder needs replaced / re-keyed to match the rest of the vehicle.

Little work to do, but I'll be able to finally use the rear of the vehicle which is a huge win for utility.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Today was a good day. I got the rear window moving and was able to for the first time open the rear door. Looks like the switch is wired backwards when the rear tailgate was replaced, and everything needs lubricated. Beyond that, the lock cylinder needs replaced / re-keyed to match the rest of the vehicle.

Little work to do, but I'll be able to finally use the rear of the vehicle which is a huge win for utility.
Spoke too soon. This tailgate is from another Bronco according to the previous owner, and I think the motor and / or wiring is just shot. It goes up and down with a lot of assistance, at some stages moves freely for a few inches before not moving at all. Pulled both the left and right track off and cleaned off what appeared to be 30 years of grease and grim, no bueno...

I found a female connector sitting disconnected inside the panel, another wire (that I'm assuming ran power for the defroster) was cut / taped off. The handle also has a ton of slop in it, and requires you to squeeze diamonds from coal to actuate the latches.

Not sure if this is a case for a new tailgate, or a lot of repairs.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Spoke too soon. This tailgate is from another Bronco according to the previous owner, and I think the motor and / or wiring is just shot. It goes up and down with a lot of assistance, at some stages moves freely for a few inches before not moving at all. Pulled both the left and right track off and cleaned off what appeared to be 30 years of grease and grim, no bueno...

I found a female connector sitting disconnected inside the panel, another wire (that I'm assuming ran power for the defroster) was cut / taped off. The handle also has a ton of slop in it, and requires you to squeeze diamonds from coal to actuate the latches.

Not sure if this is a case for a new tailgate, or a lot of repairs.
Read through the many tailgate threads….

The glass resistance issue sounds like the weatherstripping is pinching the window and causing it to bind, or the plastic guides are sticking…

The handle Being hard to use could be as simple as the safety latch not aligned right, or something bent in the handle mechanism.

If you want to replace all the parts for the tailgate

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Read through the many tailgate threads….

The glass resistance issue sounds like the weatherstripping is pinching the window and causing it to bind, or the plastic guides are sticking…

The handle Being hard to use could be as simple as the safety latch not aligned right, or something bent in the handle mechanism.

If you want to replace all the parts for the tailgate
Yup - That's my homework now. Lots of folks have been down this road all over the net, and thankfully there are some great video's on YouTube as well.
  1. I didn't check the plastic guides to make sure they were spinning free. Something to check out there.
  2. There is almost no weather stripping left around the window. It rattles to music only it can hear while on the highway ;)
  3. The handle needs love for sure.
I only had about two hours to play with it today. Unfortunately we got the window down to work on cleaning the tracks, and then couldn't get it back up. Even had a little smoke at one point from around the motor area. I ended up partially physically working the window up, close the tailgate, and then from the inside have someone lift it while the panel was open. After that fiasco, I had enough for the day :)

The tailgate installed by a previous owner had rivets in it (not by their doing) so I'm guessing someone had a soft-top on the donor vehicle. Another reason I'm trying to decide if I salvage this one or grab another. Chances are high I'll fix it.

I'm going to end on a positive though. 3 of the 4 doors now activate the dome light as of today's tinkering. Driver door, I'm coming for you next!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Todays update after cleaning a bunch and checking the wiring. Apparently the last owner ran their own wiring from the cab, but it reads 12v at the liftgate motor so it's all good for now.

Win's for today:
  • 4/4 Doors trigger the cab light!
  • Found the splice in the line for the liftgate motor switch and corrected the orientation so it now matches the label on the dash. (up goes up, down goes down)
  • Ordered a new liftgate motor and a couple other things for the liftgate repair.
  • Dropped the liftgate cylinder off with a locksmith to get the pins set to match the vehicle keys so I can use the door key to move the window.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Continuing to work through electrical issues, but making progress!

Win's for today:
  • Radio clock backlight restored.
  • New dome light cover (clear / diffused rather than the white opaque default) and brigher LED bulb
  • Liftgate motor replaced and working!
  • Liftgate lock cylinder re-keyed.
Upcoming tasks:
  • Liftgate lock cylinder operation of the rear window glass
  • Power Lock Actuators (They all need replaced)
  • Rear Defrost / associated wiring and switch
  • Figure out windshield wiper fluid sprayer (motor?)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts