Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 F-150 with a 351 in it now, what all must I do to swap in a 96 351 out of a F-150? I thought there was a few things different.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I don't remember everything I did, but a couple things were

1)change the egr and tube
2)change the cam on my dizzy

there's more.. Hopefully Kemicalburns chimes in.. In my opinion he's the most knowledgeable about it.. Search for write ups or posts..

·
Registered
834 Posts
I don't remember everything I did, but a couple things were

1)change the egr and tube
2)change the cam on my dizzy

there's more.. Hopefully Kemicalburns chimes in.. In my opinion he's the most knowledgeable about it.. Search for write ups or posts..
Sounds like it would be easier just to change the computer along with the engine...

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Sounds like it would be easier just to change the computer along with the engine...
You can't.. Well you can't without a whole lot of effort..

96 is ODB-II.. 95 and older is ODB-1. huge difference!

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,071 Posts
EGR must be changed along with the tube.

Timing cover has to be changed. Crankshaft sensor wheel has to be added.

I'm pretty sure that the distributor can be transferred from the 92 to the 96, if not then all you'll have to change on the distributor is the PIP. Remember that the 92 motor has the iron flat tappet cam (factory), so using the 96 distributor gear in the 92 is a NO-NO. So you could so this two way, swap the 92 gear onto the 96 distributor, or swap the PIP from the 96 distributor to the 92 distributor (if they are of different plug, not for sure if they are same or different)

Here's a thread where I had to work out the bugs from a previous mechanic's work. They installed an 88 351 into the 96 without changing much.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143387

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I never changed the timing cover or added the crankshaft sensor.. Weird.. Sack you do know your stuff, however I didn't have to do that..

I had to take the cam from the 96 Dizzy and put it on a 351 Dizzy that had an external TFI. (cause I went from 87 302 to 96 351)

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,071 Posts
I never changed the timing cover or added the crankshaft sensor.. Weird.. Sack you do know your stuff, however I didn't have to do that..

I had to take the cam from the 96 Dizzy and put it on a 351 Dizzy that had an external TFI. (cause I went from 87 302 to 96 351)
Well it probably WOULD run without the crankshaft sensor. But the 96's have it due to being OBD2. But I'm pretty sure it's only for misfire detection.

·
Registered
834 Posts
You can't.. Well you can't without a whole lot of effort..

96 is ODB-II.. 95 and older is ODB-1. huge difference!
Yeah but if the motor is coming out of a 96 (ODB-II vehicle), it seems logical to grab the 96 CPU along with it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts