Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there are lots of old threads about dual batteries... No good pics of any from the last generation of broncos though.

I restore cars so of course I can do heavy mods to the truck and put a battery anywhere I please, but I'm lazy and want to find a spot where one will fit. any recommendations? I'm not seeing any right off the bat, and I don't want to move stuff around much...

later down the road I do plan on putting the lincoln electric fan setup in it, with the overflow bottle down the side, that will give me space on the other side of the radiator, but right now that's not helping me.

I will not buy another sealed gel battery, 2 of those pieces of junk were enough, so putting one in the cab won't work for me either... Please I don't want this thread to turn into another argument about optimas, I don't want another one it just wasn't worth the money.

so anyhow, any recommendations on where to temporarily put another battery? I have a welder and already have to run a heavy wire to the back for my reece mounted winch so location isn't an issue as long as I don't have to move much stuff.

thanks guys

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
???

won't help me with location though... the parts aren't the issue, I just don't want to move a whole bunch of stuff right now because when I do the lincoln electric fan/overflow bottle I'll have the perfect spot for it.

Right now, the windshield washer and radiator overflow are right there on the other side of the radiator.

It may seem silly, but welding up a pan to put it somewhere is no big deal to me, I just don't want to move stock components until I do the fan swap...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not without moving supports, and canister stuff...

I saw the pics, but can't do that without putting stuff in different locations. It wouldn't be too hard I know, but I don't want to move stuff on one side just to end up moving stuff on the other side later.

I might actually stick it under the truck, maybe mount a battery box to the frame or to the back of the skid plate. I do offroad, but nothing really crazy, enough to need my winch, but not enough that a stock rig won't go there...

I've got a really big battery in the regular location, and will be doing the 130amp alternator next week, I'm just looking for a little more capacity for camping and winching...

If I can find a spot to put the battery I've got a 300 amp 3 position switch, so I was thinking of running a charging wire with a big diode (so the juice can't flow back through it) to a deep cycle battery. Use it when I run the winch or camping, then I don't have to worry about running it down, just switch it over to the regular starting battery and away we go...

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
I left the main support near the canister and put my dual batteries in the stock location. Instead of pounding the stock one flat, I just built a new one from angle iron with a better hold down.

The easiest thing for you to do is put them in the stock location.

·
Super Moderator
26,374 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, those are small batteries though. I've already got 1 big mofo, it takes up all that space by itself.

Mine is like... well I don't remember but I think it's over 900 CCA and is very large. I bought the biggest battery I could fit in there. Now if I can find a spot for a smaller reserve type battery someplace...

I had a big everstart maxx deep cycle battery in my van, went camping with it ran a BIG stereo for 3 days... This was when I was a teen so "camping" meant getting drunk in the woods... anyhow after 3 days of running a big stereo with an amp the van spun right over.

Ill check again, maybe I'm just not seeing it right in there, but I know the battery I got would at least be 1 1/2 times the size of an optima.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks miesk... I'll check around for a new overflow bottle, I've got an old van in my pasture that might have one...

I guess the best thing to do would be go ahead and put it on the driver's side of the truck, move everything... No reason to wait for a lincoln bottle...

All of our junk yards closed down here, so I am without JY parts... sux real bad, I don't want to drive for an hour just to find the next jy doesn't have what I need.

I'll see what I can do with what I have/ post some pics of what I come up with. I want to put some badass lights on the truck for reverse lights and some fog lights, and be able to run a long pull on my winch at the same time.

I think if I run my 300 amp switch so that it's running the regular battery most of the time, with a diode charging the deep cycle all the time, then it should be good to go as far as the deep cycle and starting battery not "fighting" each other... That way I can turn the switch (3 position switch) so one way is "normal" One way is deep cycle only, and one way is both...

diodes will keep the juice from "backflowing" where I don't want it to go. Anyhow if it works, or if I burn the bitch down I'll still try to post back what happened...

·
Super Moderator
26,374 Posts
yw pal!
Along with da BAck-Up lights, consider a Wired Camera... neat stuff! I even saw a pal here have once for his front Dana for clearance issues,,,
Battery.. and yes, let's Not begin the Battery War in your thread.
Review, Walmart Everstart Maxx 65N; 850 CCA, 1000 CA (manufactured by Johnson Controls) by miesk5 at FSB
I purchased this battery at WAL MART® (battery is not listed in their web site)

It is mfg. by Johnson Controls & produces this EXACT SAME battery (CCA, etc.) for many auto makers and retailers under different product names such as:Motorcraft® silver BXT-65-850; ~$100.00 to $120.00 Plus $104.95 + tax, etc. at your local friendly Ford dealer
Sears Die Hard Gold 33065 $105. +
Auto Zone (Duralast Gold)
Eveready
Everstart
Interstate Mega-Tron Plus $104.95 + tax, etc.
Toyota (TrueStart)
Mitsubishi (Diamond Car Care)
Mazda
Advance Auto (Autocraft Titanium)
Costco (Kirkland Signature)
Pep Boys (ProStart & Energizer)
btw, Johnson also mfg. Optima brand

WAL MART - excellent price $61.00 w/ 7% sales tax and free installation (SEP 07). The warranty is 3yr free and 108 month pro-rata

CCA: 875 amps @ 0 degree F/ CA = 1090 amps @ 32° F; Reserve capacity: 165 mins
Same size as other Bronco batteries..
44 lbs
12 " L
7.50 " W
7.50" H

=-------------==============================

"...Optima is now owned by Johnson Controls (thats when the quality went down) - Then they moved production to the plant in Mexico and that is where they are currently being produced. Construction to my knowledge is still the same but I feel they have cut corners in the quality assurance end of things..." & "...When the Swedes owned optima, they paid us well and quality was foremost of all at all cost. JCI is the company that KILLED optima batteries, we always had 99.99 pure lead until JCI bought optima. The first thing they did was: fired all of the on staff scientists, then fired all of the PHD's, then fired the chemists, then dismantled the chemistry lab, then dismantled the prototype lab, then got rid of the pure lead and replaced it with lead with higher tin content, then JCI brought in their genius engineers and re formulated the lead acid paste, then replaced the AGM paper with lower grade paper, ex cetera, ex cetera. All of this was done within the first 2 years of their ownership! We had to fight like hell to prove that what we had when they purchased us was superior to what they had done.
we finally convinced them to begin returning to some of the successful methods Gates had originally designed, but only after making them think that it was their idea. When the U.S. plant shut down, we were using pure lead, similar to original paper and similar paste formula, however, there were many, many other changes they had made in the manufacturing process that negatively affected the optima but produced higher volumes. In my opinion, the Enersys Odyssey is, by far, the very best battery on the market today. I am aware of some of the mfg practices being used specifically on the optima in mexico, and they are not conducive to quality!"
Source: by Weber at another Forum
============
Red Top: High-CCA starting battery. Provides engine cranking power for vehicles with stock or average electrical loads.
Part Number: 34 (8002-002)
RedTop®; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 34; Cold Crank Amps 800; Crank Amps 1000; Reserve Capacity 100; Top Terminal; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in.;
Part Number: 75/25 (8022-091)
RedTop®; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 75/25; Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Dual Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 13/16 in.; H-7 5/8 in.;
Part Number: 34/78 (8004-003)
RedTop®; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 34/78; Cold Crank Amps 800; Crank Amps 1000; Reserve Capacity 100; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in.;

Yellow Top: Dual-purpose starting and deep cycle battery. Provides engine starting power plus deep cycle capacity to support multiple accessories , demanding electrical systems , and vehicles without alternators
Part Number: D34 (8012-021)
YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery; UNBOXED; Group D34; Cold Crank Amps 750; Crank Amps 870; Reserve Capacity 120; Top Terminal; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in.;
Part Number: D34/78 (8014-045)
YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery; UNBOXED; Group D34/78; Cold Crank Amps 750; Crank Amps 870; Res. Capacity 120; Top Terminal; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in.;
http://www.optimabatteries.com/battery_selector/

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am trying to dig up the article I had posted on my website about dual battery setups. A lot of misinformation, and really stupid product ideas out there that are being marketted to the 4x4 customer.

In the mean time, I will add my huge dislike for Optima and Johnson Controls to this thread as well. They own Interstate, Exide, and Delphi as well. Everything they have ever touched the quality went in the crapper, but the price was cheaper. When they took over Optima, our warranty went from 10% to over 75% very quickly. We threw them out of our shop.

Odyssey PC1500 is the same group size as the Optima and is the best battery in that group size. I have had two customers get screwed by Odyssey on warranty. If you want I can post video of actual failed tests of their batteries. The PC1500 is now being marketed through Sears as a Platinum G2 or something like that. It is $189.99 with the same warranty. Since going into Sears the PC1500 has gone from weighing 54lbs to now weighing 52lbs. When it comes to lead acid batteries, weight is everything, as it is proportional to the amount of lead in the battery. More lead means more power and better durablitiy.

Optimas used to weigh over 40lbs, but are now down in the 36lb range. And that is the worst thing about them, it is a range, not the same exact weight each time. Which to me is a QA issue.

The PC1500 is the best battery out there, even with the corner trimming recently done. At $189.99 it is still the most expensive as well. The Deka Intimidator is the same size as Optima, and the PC1500. It is 42lbs, manufactured by East Penn/Deka. They are the only large manufacturer still producing on US soil. Highly recommend them for all regular batteries as well. They use calcium/calcium plates, set the plates in epoxy at the bottoms, etc. When Optima went south, we gave our customers standard Deka wetcells and they out performed the Optimas.

But back to the Intimidator. It is lighter than the PC1500, and slightly less reserve as well. However it is also 2/3 the price, frequently found for $119 and $129. I have recommended them as being the best value battery in that group size for years. To date I know of 3 people in over 1000 sales that has had warranty on them. And unlike Odyssey, it was no questions asked exchange. So yes the Odyssey is a better battery, but my opinion is the Deka Intimidator will do everything you need, for less money.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. The quality of our batteries has always been excellent and continues to improve. We still manufacture all of our own batteries and we never re-brand or re-spec them for any retailers. We still use 99.99% pure, virgin lead in our batteries and many of the “bad” batteries returned to us now are just deeply-discharged. Many battery chargers will not recognize or charge any battery that has been discharged below 10.5 volts. A deeply-discharged Optima can be recharged with such a charger, by using the parallel charging technique explained in this video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoaL3DWWEg

The weight of our batteries does vary from group size to group size. Our D51 & D51R YellowTop batteries are our lightest 12-volt batteries and have a minimum weight of 26 lbs. and our D31M BlueTop batteries are our heaviest, with a minimum weight of 59.8 lbs. If you are using a battery for winching or other deep-cycle applications, we strongly recommend a battery that is designed to be deep-cycled, such as our YellowTop. RedTops offer plenty of cranking power, but are not designed or warrantied for deep-cycle applications. The key to long battery life is to maintain a voltage level of at least 12.4 volts. When batteries are discharged below that level, sulfation begins to diminish performance and longevity. If you have any questions about our batteries, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Well Jim I had a Red Top Optima about 8 years ago and it was an awful battery. Figured it was my fault because I left my headlights on a couple times. Got a Yellow Top. Awful battery. Lasted 2 years and I put in a Die Hard.

I've been hearing plenty of these stories over the years, and I have to say, the perception is that Optima batteries aren't worth half their price. My experience corroborates that view.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had a Die hard gold that lasted 12 years. It was a 950CCA, and that thing was abused to all hell and run dead several times. Never crapped out! One day I went to start the truck, it turned over for about 1.5 second at full speed, then just stopped and the voltage went to 8V. Can you say bad cell anyone?

Best battery I ever had.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HEY JIM!!!! since you felt like plugging your product on MY THREAD!!! How about you make good on your company's battery? I've got a red top bought it in 2006, went bad in 2008. No one would do crap for me... still got the $180.00 dollar Piece of junk...

hmmm? come on, send me a p.m. or post on here about what you're going to do to make it right.
:goodfinge

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
If your dead set on adding another battery.. you could add it inside the rear panel in the back.. if its small.. or you could make a holder for it under the rear seat under the truck. I mounted a 5 gallon air tank under there and you can't even tell its there from the outside.. you could easily put 2 very large batteries under there maybe in a sealed box? just a thought!

I have a huge battery too.. matter of fact close to the size of 2 batteries..

It fits fine in the stock location...

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA at 0 deg.F): 1150
Reserve Capacity (RC): 205 min.
Amp Hours at 20 Hour Rate: 100

also has dual posts on either side... maybe get one that can do double duty instead of adding another battery? But to each his own

1 - 20 of 20 Posts