Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 bronco 302 e4od. I've changed the front calipers and hoses. Then I changed the rear wheel cylinder. Both front and back brake set ups are factory. I changed the vacuum booster out to a 1 ton because the factory wouldn't pull any vacuum when I tested it. The brakes work better but the pedal still travels to the floor. I bleeded the brakes again. Fluid was slow to come out on the r/h rear. The l/h rear and came out about normal. The front r/h was a little slow but better then the back r/h. The abs on the frame was just as slow as the back r/h. The front l/h came out fast. The brakes work but something doesn't seem right. When I hit the brake pedal it travels about a half inch before I notice it starts slowing it down. The pedal get stiff some but it just keeps traveling to the floor when the brake is applied. When I mash it to the floor at about 55 it stops but no tire lock up or anything. I was just hoping someone with some experience with the brake system could point me in a direction to check or how to fix it. Thank you for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I swapped all the same stuff out on my 93 once. I remember it took forever to fill all the lines back up. Your supposed to start with the furtherest away (back passenger) but when it was not working I flooded both fronts like crazy closed em off then pulled both back bleeder valves off and flooded them. Don't let the resivour run down. Put valves back in and pump/bleed em starting in the back again like your supposed to.I swear it took a gallon of juice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did you put the F350 wheel cylinders on? If you did then your master cylinder is too small and the pedal will have to travel further to push enough fluid. You'll need a master from a 250/350

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
129 Posts
When you did the work did the master cylinder run dry, if so you will need to bleed the master cylinder first. BUT from what you described sounds like you need to bleed the brakes again starting on the back right first.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry it's taken so long to get back on here. It's been a busy week at work. The bronco is 92 302 e4od engine has 237,000 miles. The transmission was replaced sometime before I got the bronco so mileage is unknown. It has the 3G alternates upgrade. It has a 3in spring and spacer lift up front and 3/4ton springs in the rear with 33in tires. Gears were changed to 4.56 from 3.55. Changed the front pumpkin to a Dana 50 with a posi track from Yukon with the 3/4ton stud shaft. Installed warren manual hubs.

I changed the front calipers because the bleeder was broke on one of them. So I just bought two knew ones and rotors and pads. The front brake hose was bent bad on the passenger side so I replaced both sides. The rear cylinder had signs of a small leak when I changed the gears. I replaced both sides with stock bronco cylinders and new shoes and spring kit plus the adjuster.

The vacuum brake booster I tested with a vacuum pump. I vacuum the line by it self first no leaks then the check valve which didn't hold vacuum. Then I tested just the booster I tested to get to about 20 on the vacuum gauge but it would only go to about 4-5 then fall back to zero. The master cylinder was replaced before I bought the truck and there was evidence of prior leakege. It was dry when I took it off the brake booster. It wouldn't hold any vacuum and I want to do a full brake upgrade down the road so I bought the 1ton booster. I didn't test the new booster.

The brake fluid has never went empty while I've had the bronco. I didn't dissconect and of the lines when I changed the booster. I just unbolted the master cylinder and slide it forward off the booster. I removed the old booster and installed the new one then just bolted it all back together. After it was all back together I bleed the brakes just to make sure there was no air in the system.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it ever stops rain here in Texas long enough I'll disassemble the rear brakes and inspect it all. The parking brake works but when I first got the bronco it was rusted solid from never being used. I played with the e-brake pedal for a couple days trying to free up the cable. After a few days of just trying loosen it up it was free. It will hold the truck at stop with it in any gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts