Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The purpose of this thread is to track my efforts in dealing with a couple of nuisance cab leaks. This has been an ongoing battle for years. In fact I recall back when I first bought it in '96 or '97, there were times after it rained where the drivers side carpet would get damp. Initially it was a nagging drip that came down the firewall during a hard rain. Then this past weekend, while driving in a heavy downpour water was dripping from the trim around the windshield.

The Bronco sits sometimes for a week before it gets driven, so it's pretty infrequent I'm driving in the rain,,Windshield was replaced about 6 years ago. Anyway, on my way back from the gym I saw this..

It was still raining pretty good when I got home, so I pulled the trim and I could see where there were beads of water coming through the windshield sealant. I have some of this Eastwood flexible caulk that I pushed up in there to hopefully solve the problem until I can have a windshield company reseal it..Obviously, there's a leak in the seal, but it got me thinking that the other leak could also be from related to the windshield, which would explain why even after all of the attempted fixes I've made it's still there...

This is the area of the floor board where I'll usually see the water.

Areas of note:

I've drilled out the clutch plate to run wires into the cab, initially thought water was coming in there, but it's been completely sealed.
The other area was the brake booster, at one point I replaced it and didn't use a proper gasket..that's since been corrected, I also used the Eastwood flexible caulking around the entire perimeter of the booster where it seals to the firewall. I'm pretty confident that's not the point of entry.
Then there was the cowl drain trough. They're notorious for getting clogged with debris and rusting out. If you don't have a problem here you will..a few years back I cleaned mine out, seam sealed a flex sprayed the entire length of the trough, only to find this later on...

The spot you're looking at is in the trough on the drivers side right where trough meets the firewall. That hole which has since been repaired was big enough to fit my finger in..If you find a hole like this, I'd recommend digging as far around the area and patching it..you really can't weld in here(no clearance), not sure that I'd want to either, so I fashioned a patch out of some 16 gauge sheet metal and used panel adhesive to hold it in place..once it was dry I put seam sealer around it and hit it with several coatings of a flex seal.

Anyway, after all this I still have the annoying firewall leak and now one from the windshield. There are a few other threads on the site where folks have been troubleshooting similar problems, figured I'd start a thread where I could aggregate all that info. I'll dig up those other links and add to this one.

Thanks.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,094 Posts
The windshield leak is common. Ive had one there in two of the 90s fords ive owned.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The windshield leak is common. Ive had one there in two of the 90s fords ive owned.
I'm wondering whether it's related to cab flex..I'm sure it's more pronounced because I've for the soft top..

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,094 Posts
Mine was a regular cab pickup and a bronco that rarely had the top off. Even after a new windshield. Even a small imperfection can cause the seal to leak. And sometimes those clips in there rust and let water through too.

The product i like to use for that type of stuff is called 'Through The Roof' by sashco. Its an asphalt substitute for leaky roofs. Its clear and can be had in a brushable gel or in a caulking tube. It does yellow over time. I used it on the gutters on my van and 18 months later im still leak free.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,247 Posts
I have the windshield header leak. I got a new windshield put in, and the guy spent a lot of time cleaning up the old surface as well as possible, doing extra rust prep and laying a thick bead of sealant down, knowing how troublesome this generation of Ford is. He said they don't guarantee leak-free results on these trucks because they're highly likely to leak no matter what you do... Sure enough, mine was leaking again shortly after.

I've filled the outer channel, below the chrome trim, with flowable sealant. The water still finds its way in somehow... It gets in between the seam in the metal on the inside, but I'm not sure how it's getting in there. It's a slow enough drip, it may well just be condensation within the two layers of metal roofing.

My big leak I'm still trying to address (I've given up on the windshield leak) is behind the B-pillars. My rear cup holders ('92-96 plastic bed side panels) fill up with water whenever it rains. I've done some sealing of areas above them along the bed rail. It seems like it has to be flowing down the cab-roof channel somehow, but doesn't appear to be. I've noticed moisture coming down the glass itself, but enough to create that kind of volume? I just picked up some spare window gaskets to try out. The most likely answer is drip rail cracks, but I can't see how the water would travel from there back to the bed rail space above the cup holders.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the same problem on my truck but I have narrowed it down to the windshield cowl. From what I can see your leak looks identical to mine. If my truck is at an incline with the nose lower than the rear it does not leak when I spray water at the windshield with a garden hose. I have to replace my windshield wiper motor and wiper arm so I will find out for sure soon enough but I suggest you pull off the cowl panel to further investigate.

The purpose of this thread is to track my efforts in dealing with a couple of nuisance cab leaks. This has been an ongoing battle for years. In fact I recall back when I first bought it in '96 or '97, there were times after it rained where the drivers side carpet would get damp. Initially it was a nagging drip that came down the firewall during a hard rain. Then this past weekend, while driving in a heavy downpour water was dripping from the trim around the windshield.
sometimes for a week before it gets driven, so it's pretty infrequent I'm driving in the rain,,Windshield was replaced about 6 years ago. Anyway, on my way back from the gym I saw this..

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same problem on my truck but I have narrowed it down to the windshield cowl. From what I can see your leak looks identical to mine. If my truck is at an incline with the nose lower than the rear it does not leak when I spray water at the windshield with a garden hose. I have to replace my windshield wiper motor and wiper arm so I will find out for sure soon enough but I suggest you pull off the cowl panel to further investigate.
@hcoll, if you look above I've pulled my cowl and R&R'd the trough..see the pics. the only hole I cold find was patched and I've got seveal coats of leak seal in there as well..doubtful the trough is the problem.

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
174 Posts
My wifes 93 flareside has a slow drip leak when I wash it, comes right in where yours is jermil. It gets driven so infrequently I tape around the chrome when I wash it and that stops it.

I am SO GLAD my bronco has no leaks. Knock on wood. Good lord what a pain

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,088 Posts
It's an off-brand product but over the years I've had tremendous luck with E6000. It stays flexible but bonds like crazy. Comes in a tube and it's clear and from what I've seen... stays clear for as long as I've had anything around I used it on. I first used it after dudes on a snowmobile forum recommended it to patch a torn paddle on my snowmobile track. I tried it and the stuff held up for years under insanely harsh use and hard-core conditions.
Apparently.. it's more commonly used by little old ladies to glue eyeballs on dolls and stuff. Incredibly under-rated but I swear by the stuff and keep a tube in the shop at all times these days.

·
Premium Member
95 XLT 5.8 E4OD
1,530 Posts
I had the windshield leak show up soon after I bought mine in Dec18. The cab had a moldy odor so it was dripping for awhile before I purchased her. You could see where someone applied some black sealant of some type around the trim. I was driving with the wife through a strong FL rainstorm and it starts dripping into the cab passenger and driver side pretty damn good. My wife looks at me and says, great vehicle you bought honey. Haha, her look was priceless. Had my auto body guy replace the window, and he cleaned up the metal and worked some magic and no more cab leaks since. We get some hellacious tropical rains here in Tampa but so far so good. The odor is gone and so are the funny looks from my wife. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
4,219 Posts
I feel your pain... I too had the windshield leak along the header, about 6 inches in... Depending on how I had my visor tipped it would either leave a spot on my floor mat right about where yours was, or bottom left corner of the floor mat by the seat... Despite the copious amounts of black goo that was behind the header trim...
When it went in for the driveshaft I had him replace the windshield and no more leak 😊 and my exterior chrome is on better then before.

Hope u find yours before it drives ya bonkers @jermil01

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some other threads where people have detailed similar problems..

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
I've contemplated swapping the black metal trim for rubber trim like most newer vehicles have for other reasons, perhaps limiting the water getting into the area in the first place would fix the leaking. Water likes the path of least resistance, so if you get the right spot it's not hard to keep it out.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've contemplated swapping the black metal trim for rubber trim like most newer vehicles have for other reasons, perhaps limiting the water getting into the area in the first place would fix the leaking. Water likes the path of least resistance, so if you get the right spot it's not hard to keep it out.
I agree, the metal windshield trim is annoying and on top of everything else, it's a PITA to remove..wonder whether there's a source for rubber trim for these things??

So as luck would have it, it rained quite a bit last night and it was heavy.

normally that amount of rain would have left a pretty decent sized puddle on the the floor board..This is what I found when I checked...bone dry..now I'm thinking that the water I was seeing before had come from that top leak in the windshield and had somehow found it's way down to the firewall..I guess that's possible if the water runs around the edge..maybe the flexible caulk I added sealed up that leak...I'll keep an eye on it.

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Posting this here, courtesy of @miesk5..My weather stripping is super old.. While I know it's not causing the water near the firewall, I do get water that comes in sometime around the threshold of the door..going to replace all weatherstripping with this kit from Bronco Graveyard..

Inspect door weather strip

and see installation @ 1996 Bronco/F-Series

Door Inspection
To determine door alignment requirements:
  • Check that the front door contour is flush with the body contour.
  • Check that the body-to-front door gap is the same around the whole door.
  • Determine by observation of the door alignment what adjustments, if any, are required.
See Door Alignment @ 1996 Bronco/F-Series

Inspect inner Door Water Shield.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Question, has anyone recently removed the windshield trim and if so do you have any tips. I've watched a couple of videos and generally understand what needs to be done, but I'd like to avoid breaking those clips if at all possible. Tried a putty knife, then a pick yesterday..No luck. Was planning to grab one of the trim removal tools from HF..Thanks.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,247 Posts
I have the HF kit. You can wrap some tape on it to help avoid scratching the glass. No real tips here other than trial and error, dragging along the seam until locating one of the clips, then wiggling about until it releases.

I believe you can buy packs of replacement clips pretty cheap.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Along these lines, my trim is flush against the windshield bottom corners but toward the center the gap is about 3/8ths of an inch. Original windshield but trim was taken off for paint and I can’t remember if the gap was always there. I can take a picture if necessary.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Along these lines, my trim is flush against the windshield bottom corners but toward the center the gap is about 3/8ths of an inch. Original windshield but trim was taken off for paint and I can’t remember if the gap was always there. I can take a picture if necessary.
I think mine is about the same. was reading you need to be careful with the bottom trim, evidently there are some plastic pieces attached to is that can break easily..

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Common issue. The metal is pretty thin and can warp or bend easily, plus the clips that retain it aren't very strong. I've had issues with it staying put in one corner.
I think mine is about the same. was reading you need to be careful with the bottom trim, evidently there are some plastic pieces attached to is that can break easily..
This is correct. In fact a number of mine were missing when I first pulled it off. I stocked up on clips from the junkyard. The bottom is a bit different in that theres a straight tab that sticks out into a retainer on the frame.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts