Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put a new ac compressor on my mom's 2000 5.0L Explorer last night and it its so quite and cold. I started up my 92 F250 to take it over to her to use in the meantime and had to top off the R-12. Anyways, the compressor is knocking hard on the F250 just like the Explorer did before it died. I was considering doing just a standard compressor/dryer/OT swap with flush and recharging with R-12 but I thought since its not much farther, maybe a R134a swap would be in order. I know better than to just throw on some ports and go. I have searched google, this forum, many other forums about R134A conversions, but nowhere can I find what parts to use. Do the 95 parts fit the 92? Anyone know where a good source of part to use in the conversion.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
The last evaporator I did really sucked. Any chance that part is interchangable?
These trucks are from the era BEFORE they started burying evaportors in the dash. A couple bolts on the HVAC box in the engine bay and you can pull it right out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve83, great pictures there. I can see undoubtedly the evaporators (or any other part for that matter) is absolutely not interchangeable. I may look and see how hard it is to get that evaporator out with that 460 taking up all its real estate. I was really pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive buying every last piece new is. I noticed you replaced the whole underhood box that holds the evaporator/heater core. Is that necessary or can you put a R134a evaporator in a R12 box.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The R134a evaporator coil won't fit in a R12 box. At least it didn't for me. I checked a 95 R134a coil in my 90 box and it was a no go.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
just get the air box out of a 94-96 F series or Bronco and use 94 - 96 parts for the whole thing. You could even pull the whole charged system out of the junkyard (if you luck out and find one with a good compressor) and just drop it in place and go, the whole thing will come out without losing pressure in one piece if your careful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts