Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I'm new to the site and am looking for some possibilities of why my Bronco wont go into Neutral or reverse.

The Bronco is currently sitting in a driveway all the way up to the garage because when placed in neutral it might as well be in park and when placed into reverse it acts as if the parking brake is engaged I can rev the engine up but it will not move at all.

There is a slight amount of play in the column so I haven't ruled this out, but really I'm not familiar with the numerous sensors that could also be involved.

I'm currently in Colorado and the vehicle is in New Mexico so I'm just looking to have a better idea of what to have a technician look into before I make the trip.

A little history on it my cousin had removed the tranny and everything inside looked fine gears looked new tranny has new fluid and filter had been changed so visually nothing looked out of the ordinary.

At one time I was able to put vehicle into Reverse but at times it would get stuck and after I revved engine it would pop into reverse but would sound like it was grinding. This sound would go away after driving a bit.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Sounds like the column shift linkage is out of sync with the transmission.................www.broncolinks.com under the transmission section OR Haynes Repair Manual for the adjustment procedure....

I'm not familiar with a 92 but on my 86 all I need do is first turn the key to "RUN" engine off, pull the column shift lever down into the D position and secure it there so it can't move, then go underneath the truck on the drivers side and loosen the column shift linkage "BOLT" on the transmission "TAB" just enough to click the "TAB" all the way back until it stops then 2 clicks forward, tighten "BOLT" and place back in P and you're done......

In many cases this type of adjustment eliminates code: 67 AC/NSS so hopefully there's a simle adjustment like this for yours.....also look for throttle cable adjustment, mine has a T.V. cable adjustment for shift timing at WOT...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 2 of 2 Posts