Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Kinda scary. I feel like everything I have done in my life to this point has prepared me for this undertaking. I am really enjoying it. I have done my best to label bags of bolts and screws and take tons of pictures so I can get it back together.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
583 Posts
Kinda scary. I feel like everything I have done in my life to this point has prepared me for this undertaking. I am really enjoying it. I have done my best to label bags of bolts and screws and take tones of pictures so I can get it back together.
You will be fine. Make sure to take plenty of pictures. They have saved my butt many times during my interior and engine work. You can always delete them later if you wanted. It’s the best way to see what used to be imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got all the mounts, fuel lines, harness and other stuff off the frame today. I'm leaving the rear axle on for now to make it easier to move. Degreasing and pressure washing next.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My future son in-law put to work. I was thinking of having it sand blasted but every thing I have read about POR15 says it likes some rust. So I'm going to clean and degrease it really good and paint it. I did the k member on a mustang that way a couple of years ago. It still looks great. Opinions welcome.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I got the body off the lift and on a cart for future work. In going to concentrate on the chassis and engine for now.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Forgot to mention I found a cracked beam mount. I think Threat is going to get more of my business.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I removed the beam and engine mounts and dropped the frame off at the sandblaster. Should have it back tommorow. But the POR 15 kit won't arrive until Thursday.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
583 Posts
I removed the beam and engine mounts and dropped the frame off at the sandblaster. Should have it back tommorow. But the POR 15 kit won't arrive until Thursday.

Making great progress!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Making great progress!

Yeah taking them apart is the easy part. Remembering how it goes back together is the long process. I have left the interior minus the seats in the body so the time between removal and installation is reduced, thereby augmenting my CRS.

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts
I was thinking of having it sand blasted but every thing I have read about POR15 says it likes some rust. So I'm going to clean and degrease it really good and paint it.
dropped the frame off at the sandblaster.
why the change of heart?

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
There was undercoat on a lot of the frame it was a nightmare trying to remove it completely. That and the fact I couldn't get into the areas where the cross members attached. She's done. Ready for paint. While this was out I set up a Scat blast cabinet I picked up from crackbook marketplace. I put a new ceramic tip on it an went to town on the rustiest thing I had, the battery tray. It worked great. I will be spending a lot of time doing the small parts. It was preloaded with something the PO had in it. Seemed to work good.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I received the POR 15 late today. I followed the instructions closely. I degreased it thuroughly rinsed and dried it. Then I had to use the metal prep. The instructions require the etch/prep to be on and wet for 10-20 mins for clean metal. So I used a vapor can to mist is so I wouldn't run out before the time was up. It actually made it pretty easy. Probably used half a gallon in 25 minutes. I just kept going around and around misting and stopping to refill a few times. It looks like it turned out good. The color is the zinc phosphate it leaves behind. My Dad is coming tomorrow. For some reason he wants to help paint. Maybe he really wants to hang out with his son. That's one of the great things about projects like this. Dad's, friends and siblings will surprise you sometimes. Anywho here are some pics.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
She's black! Two coats of rust preventer and 2 coats of top coat. That should last the rest of my lifetime.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I didn't originally plan to go this far. The COVID has given me a lot of time to do it. From the looks of it this winter I will want stay in my shop away from people.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I was on vacation last week. Started back today. Sandblasting, degreasing and cleaning. This will be the story of my life for a while. I am trying to get the front end components ready for paint so when I get my beams back I can paint everything at once. At least that's the plan. I did want to share that I used Eastwood's internal chassis paint on the front boxed part of the frame. It worked great. Mind you I did degrease and metal etched inside when I did the rest of the frame. Here are some pics for what they are worth.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,072 Posts
Nice work, not sure how I missed this thread though?

Now might be the time for a small body lift, 1"-2" for some extra clearance. I cut a 3" down to 2" on mine for some more wheel clearance for my 44's. Should be able to clean up the underside of the body while it's on the lift. One of the nice things about the 2' body lift, it allowed me to permanently remove all the exhaust heat shield that were rusted out and clean the body and undercoat.

Anyways, good job and I'm Sub'd, well at least until it unsubscribes me like it usually does.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I think I'm going to remove the heat shield, paint and reinstall. I'm not a fan of body lifts. I'm doing a 4 inch suspension lift with 35s. I'm already thinking of how we will get in and out. We aren't getting any younger. Thanks for the encouragement. Feel free to chime in with any suggestions as I go through the build.

The machine shop called and finally finished the machine work. Some engine building pics will be coming soon. I have a bunch of parts waiting to be introduced to each other.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,072 Posts
Thanks, if you look at My Build Thread, you can see some of the work I did, similar to yours, and i also installed a Cut-N-Turn from Desolate.
Anyhow, keep up the good work!

21 - 40 of 68 Posts