Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 351 and for some reason when I start it (warm or cold) It idles high...and low, and just kinda goes up and down anyreason for this? something I can do to fix it?

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
X2 for cleaning IAC and make sure the gasket between the TB and IAC is in good condition or it could contribute in part to the irratic idle possibly sucking in air..

I also would "pull codes" just to see if there are any "faults" indicating an electrical problem with sensors etc. (IAC)....lol lol..

Using TB cleaner only spray the bottom inside of the IAC valve and make sure it has thoroughly evaporated before you re-connect it or you could fry the solenoid attached, if the idle improves it may last a while or may only be temporary it depends on how old the IAC is.

Simply and easy to do...

Good Luck ~

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
X2 for cleaning IAC and make sure the gasket between the TB and IAC is in good condition or it could contribute in part to the irratic idle possibly sucking in air..

I also would "pull codes" just to see if there are any "faults" indicating an electrical problem with sensors etc. (IAC)....lol lol..

Using TB cleaner only spray the bottom inside of the IAC valve and make sure it has thoroughly evaporated before you re-connect it or you could fry the solenoid attached, if the idle improves it may last a while or may only be temporary it depends on how old the IAC is.

Simply and easy to do...

Good Luck ~
Thanks for the help, ima try getting that done tonight/tomrw afternoon depending on work, and will let all know how it goes :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesnt go to high it just bounces (kinda spikes, and dips) doesnt go over like 2200rpm.? i know its under 3k.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
X2 with the TB AND check the TB gasket, gaskets are inexpensive and can prevent idle air leaks.......if you clean the TB check the "throttle spring" and linkage condition and spray a little lubrcant there like Break Free etc. so the action is smoother, not draggy or binding you know...

Any codes....?
Test the voltage level on the TPS, there are 2 styles of TPS, both have the spring loaded ring in the center with 'Tanges" (plastic nubs) to engage the end of the TB shaft otherwise the TPS won't function properly. The older style is physically adjustable using a multimeter for voltage setting, less then 1 volt (.97 ideal).

Check thread by Xris ~ "the ultimate throttle body thread" and you'll see what I mean, very informative for DIY.

The other newer style TPS is simply "plug & play" with a slight CCW turn placing it on the end of the TB shaft and CW turn until the screw holes line up, tighten screws, reconnect and done.

I think that most of the TPS sold today are the Plug & Play style as I've never seen the older style anyhwere....NBD

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts