Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 93 5.0 EB with 4" lift 35" tires, headers, catco cat, flowmaster exhaust and 4.56 gears does it sound right to you guys that my trucks top speed is around 80 mph? I know the speedo is off, but I've checked my speed with both my GPS units and both show my speedo off by 10 mph, so I know I'm maxing out at 80. Just doesn't seem right to me, what do you think?

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Nope, it's not right... regeared, you should have absolutely no problems getting above 80.

Start with pulling codes, consider a tuneup/sixlitre tuneup, check the basics of the engine (compression, plugs, etc), and check for hanging brakes/quality of wheel bearings.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i have little knowledge with limiters and all on the newer BKO'd but ive hit 85 with my stock 88 EB 5.0 AOD, 3.50 gears at about3,300 rpm and i got up to 3,800 rpm untill i hit traffic.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Mine will put the speedo needle up against the trip meter reset bar

That has to be 110 mph or better. But then I have stock tire size and an accurate speedo.

Sixlitre

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
For some reason mine tops out when it hits the peg. The weird thing is that the RPM's stay still after it pegs too, seeming like it wont go any faster when it has a good two and a half grand to go before redline...

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
The newer trucks have a speed limiter. Not sure mine still works, but when I was stock it would kick in between 85-90 as I recall. Only really had it happen once, and have not been that fast since.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
For some reason mine tops out when it hits the peg. The weird thing is that the RPM's stay still after it pegs too, seeming like it wont go any faster when it has a good two and a half grand to go before redline...
Bear in mind the truck is pushing a huge amount of air at speed. Therefore most stock vehicles cannot redline in top gear.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
yea somethings wrong with that.... But i'd agree that you should really have to drive more than 80mph. but then again, thats just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well it sounds like I have a problem, The motor was remanufactured about 10,000 miles or so ago. I'll have to go through and check everything out. what is this six litre tune up I keep hearing about? Will a leaking header gasket cause that much of a performance loss?

Oh and I don't have to drive that fast, I have and I will again, but I don't need to. The question is more along the lines of "is there something wrong with my truck".

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Well it sounds like I have a problem, The motor was remanufactured about 10,000 miles or so ago. I'll have to go through and check everything out. what is this six litre tune up I keep hearing about? Will a leaking header gasket cause that much of a performance loss?

Oh and I don't have to drive that fast, I have and I will again, but I don't need to. The question is more along the lines of "is there something wrong with my truck".
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63592&highlight=sewiv+sixlitre

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'd have to try and hit 80+ going downhill just so I might make it up the other side (usually I'd be at 45 mph at the top), lol. This area of Montana isn't know for being flat and friendly.

Of course my issue was a worn out 351, 35's, and stock gearing.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,386 Posts
Mine will put the speedo needle up against the trip meter reset bar

That has to be 110 mph or better. But then I have stock tire size and an accurate speedo.

Sixlitre
Agreed, something is wrong. Mine will peg out and still go with 37's, stock 3.55 gears and with it dumping antifreeze out the pipes.

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
it's the law:deal
The speed limit in Colorado is 75 on whatever interstate it is that goes from Vail to Denver.

I bet if his Bronco maxes out at 80 down low, it will go much slower up high...and not break the law.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah so that is what a six litre tune up is, I've read that thread and am planning on that upgrade as well.

So here is where I'm at, Truck seems to do well off the line, but once I get up around 65 there just doesn't seem to be anything left. Anybody happen to know what my rpm's are supposed to be at 70 mph? I'm wondering if maybe there is a problem with the tranny slipping.

Any other Ideas what the problem could be? I'm open to ideas:whiteflag:banghead

1 - 20 of 57 Posts