Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 5.0 4x4 with a 5-spd M50D. Just did a GT40p head conversion, and trying to sort out a rotating imbalance somewhere in the drivetrain.

We installed a new flywheel from Sachs, matches the old one with the 50oz imbalance factor. Question is: There aren't any dowels on the flywheel to locate the pressure plate cover. You look at the FRPP catalog and the Mustang covers all seem to use three dowels to reduce chatter and locate the cover. But I'm getting told by a real good local trans shop, the Ford dealer, and the clutch warehouse that the truck 5.0Ls only used 6 shoulder bolts. No dowels.

I don't want to do this job 3 times. Twice is enough!

Can some of you clutch changers remember if you saw dowels or no dowels on your 90's era 5.0L Broncos? If so, a part number would be awesome, because the dealer is stumped, says nothing shows on the diagram.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody's done a 5.0L clutch job recently?

Need some 1988-93 light shed on this, please. Somebody who has 88-93 5.0L with a 5-spd, please tell me what the deal is on the dowels for the clutch cover, or whether it's just shoulder bolt located? This is a big big job to do and need to get it right. Thanks, BronkOH

BronkOH said:
I have a 93 5.0 4x4 with a 5-spd M50D. Just did a GT40p head conversion, and trying to sort out a rotating imbalance somewhere in the drivetrain.

We installed a new flywheel from Sachs, matches the old one with the 50oz imbalance factor. Question is: There aren't any dowels on the flywheel to locate the pressure plate cover. You look at the FRPP catalog and the Mustang covers all seem to use three dowels to reduce chatter and locate the cover. But I'm getting told by a real good local trans shop, the Ford dealer, and the clutch warehouse that the truck 5.0Ls only used 6 shoulder bolts. No dowels.

I don't want to do this job 3 times. Twice is enough!

Can some of you clutch changers remember if you saw dowels or no dowels on your 90's era 5.0L Broncos? If so, a part number would be awesome, because the dealer is stumped, says nothing shows on the diagram.

Thanks

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
I haven't done any clutches in Broncos but I've done several engine removals and the crank is the same(doesn't matter what trans it has). There are no dowels, just 6 bolts to hold the flexplate/flywheel to the crank. The bolts aren't evenly spaced so it'll only bolt up one way(the right way). Use RTV on the bolt threads. On 302's the flywheel bolts go all the way through the crank so if you don't use some kind of sealer then you could end up getting an oil leak along the threads that'll look like a rear main seal leak and trash your clutch at the same time. Don't use locktite.

Edit: you probably didn't have any replies b/c this isn't really an emergency, just a general question. Anywho this should answer it for ya.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clutch Cover to flywheel, not Flywheel to crank

Oh man, this IS an emergency, Bob. You misunderstood me. I'm asking about pins or dowels to locate the clutch cover (pressure plate) onto the flywheel surface. (Not about flywheel to crank.) I appreciate your reply, tho. I wish somebody who has just done a clutch on a truck 5.0L would shed some light. We don't know if we're missing locating pins or if just the bolts locate the PP. The Ford dealer is clueless, he's got a universal diagram and doesn't show details of pins or bolts for each application. Best, BronkOH

RLKBOB said:
I haven't done any clutches in Broncos but I've done several engine removals and the crank is the same(doesn't matter what trans it has). There are no dowels, just 6 bolts to hold the flexplate/flywheel to the crank. The bolts aren't evenly spaced so it'll only bolt up one way(the right way). Use RTV on the bolt threads. On 302's the flywheel bolts go all the way through the crank so if you don't use some kind of sealer then you could end up getting an oil leak along the threads that'll look like a rear main seal leak and trash your clutch at the same time. Don't use locktite.

Edit: you probably didn't have any replies b/c this isn't really an emergency, just a general question. Anywho this should answer it for ya.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
No dowels on the truck 302 flywheels.(I work at a Ford dealership as a tech)With the transmisson in gear and the clutch pushed in,if the imbalance is in the motor,flywheel or pressure plate ,you should be able to duplicate the vibration by bringing the engine RPM up to the same rpm as the imbalance occurs while driving.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Sorry about that. I did misunderstand your question the first time I read it. As soon as I read it again this time I realized that's not what you were asking. Unfortunately I don't have the answer to your question.

BronkOH said:
Oh man, this IS an emergency, Bob. You misunderstood me. I'm asking about pins or dowels to locate the clutch cover (pressure plate) onto the flywheel surface. (Not about flywheel to crank.) I appreciate your reply, tho. I wish somebody who has just done a clutch on a truck 5.0L would shed some light. We don't know if we're missing locating pins or if just the bolts locate the PP. The Ford dealer is clueless, he's got a universal diagram and doesn't show details of pins or bolts for each application. Best, BronkOH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts