Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a waste of time but here are my thoughts feel free to poke holes. Have a 93 5.8 looking for more hp and torque by rebuilding doing maf conversion and getting better heads and intakes and a different cam. I will have to bring parts in from the US so the build will take time and want to be able to enjoy my truck during the build. So I am thinking of buying a 96 from Venezuela super cheap and rebuilding slowly then swapping into my truck later. What else should I buy from the chop shop? Engine and wiring harness there has to be more.

·
Registered
139 Posts
One thing to find out is if your 96 model over there has OBD2. That set up is considered undesirable. Obd1 is preferred which is 94-95 in your case

·
Registered
325 Posts
Instead of building a MAF system from old parts I recomend contacting a company and using one of the many kits available online. Might be more cost upfront but its less hours spent in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
28,270 Posts
Yo El,
FYI;
Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion & Parts List with Cost in a 93 F150, 5.0, E4OD; "...For this article, I will be doing a 93 Ford F-150, 5.0, E4OD trans. Because they don't make a kit for this, I will be re-wiring the harness, and using a PCM and MAF out of a 95 f-150, 5.0, E4OD. If you have a truck with a non-electronic Trans, like the old AOD's, or C-6's, etc, you can use a MAF conversion kit..." Read More Source: by Mike C at EEC Performance

Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion for Bronco & F 150; "...To convert SD trucks with E4OD/AODE transmissions to MAF, some people use the CA 5.8 MAF/E4OD (F5TF-12A650-BYA). Mike Wesley says he uses the F5TF-12A650-HB (95 CA 5.0 MAF/E4OD) on a 750+ HP daily driver 415 stroker Lightning with a Vortech S trim. It runs open loop, has been reprogrammed, drives like stock, gets 17 MPG and will run low 10’s at 130+ in the 1/4 mile and A/C and cruise work great. Both of these EEC’s are set to use 4.10 gears. If a smaller ratio is used, say 3.55, you could use the F5TF-12A650-GB. There are probably 15-20 EEC’s available to convert a SD (later model) to MAF (some of these may compromise the ability to stay emissions legal). If you have an early SD truck with AOD, re-wire to the Mustang EEC (Ford MotorSport sells this kit). You’ll have to move/add quite a few wires, and you might not like the results if you’re not able to re-calibrate the EEC (like the Pro-M ’low cost’ kit, Kenne Bell, LCA and Downs Ford come pre-re-calibrated). The engine shuts down at 85 MPH, shifting is fairly sloppy and too early (at least on a Lightning). All Ford EECs shift poorly -- except for the Lightning, which is only slightly firmer. To use the Mustang EEC on a truck with an E4OD/AODE, you would need to run two EECs in parallel. The Mustang EEC runs the engine, the existing truck EEC controls the trans. Pro-M sells a kit like this..." READ MUCH MORE Source: by Tom C

·
Registered
139 Posts
OBD2 is a one year only thing and from what I know less tuneable. I believe there was something about more O2 sensors and crank sensors that were one year only. I think they're just more difficult to get parts for and less supported overall

1 - 8 of 8 Posts