Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Around town in stop and go traffic, my '93 5.8L with E4OD stumbles and hesitates when accelerating, and sometimes when decelerating. The TPS, air filter, and fuel filter have all been replaced, so it's no longer stalling out at stops. But the weak stumbling under light/moderate acceleration is irritating when I'm already annoyed at the long red lights around here. :banghead I can just imagine all the expensive gas being guzzled as the 5.8L tries catching up after each hesitation.

Is there anything else I can do to make it run more smoothly? I bought a 130-amp 3G off eBay from a '96 Sable, ordered a 3G harness and 2-gauge charge cable from www.fordfuelinjection.com, and just ordered the parts for Sixlitre's tuneup from Summit Racing (MSD coil/cap/rotor, Taylor wires, and Autolite coppers) earlier tonight.

I'm idling a bit high around 1100-1200 in park or neutral, and frequently smell unburnt fuel (no rear window) at certain speeds, especially 40-45mph. Is it possible I have broken or loose vacuum lines? If so, what's the best way to check?

Other ideas? Clogged cat? I plan to upgrade exhaust next after 3G swap and ignition upgrades are done.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
101 Posts
at work i check for vacuum leaks by spraying carb or brake cleaner around the vacuum hoses where they meet and plug while the engine is running. the idle will drop when it sucks the cleaner where you spray it. just try to clear wires and connectors.

·
Registered
308 Posts
try checking ur o2 sensor mine is currently shot and im getting 90 miles to a half tank as compared to my friend same BKO with 200 half tank, plus my truck is reving in idle after awhile

·
Registered
11 Posts
My '94 Bronco EB 5.8L does the same thing. Changed out O2 sensor and filters and even changed the throttle to idle higher when stopped but no dice. I think it's something in the computer. I'm getting the FORD Techinicians manual they use in the ford dealerships for the Electrical and Vacuum segment. Will troubleshoot my problem and let you know.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No codes. They stopped a month ago when I replaced the TPS, temp sensor, and something else I'm forgetting.

O2 sensor possible. Am getting 175-200 per half tank; 12.5 MPG driving easy with cruise on 65-70. I've only had it 700 miles, so my numbers aren't gospel yet.:popc1:

Anyone have a good layout of vacuum lines or recommendations how to replace all the vacuum lines? After 15 years, I'm sure there's plenty of cracked rubber parts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
have ya done a tune up? my f-150 was missing and struggling to get going without putting your foot down and i replaced the rotor,plugs,wires,cap,coil,and advanced my timing a little bit and it runs like a bat outta hell now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OatmealMan:

I agree, a tune up is a good idea to establish a baseline anyway. Am waiting for my parts from Summit to do the Sixlitre tuneup as we speak.

p-351:

Good question; I did wonder about the fuel pump and the fuel filter. The guy I bought it from lowered the tank and put a new fuel pump in to get it running after it sat behind his house for six months. I recently replaced the fuel filter a week ago, but it's always possible the fuel pump wasn't hooked up all that well.

Think I'll just wait until the ignition upgrades and timing are advanced first, then see what else needs to be done. It didn't miss as bad today as yesterday...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts