Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a 1 ton axle on the back of my bronco. It's a '93 like the title says.

REason for doing it is I Bent my 8.8 Pinion and want to upgrade the axle instead of just fix it. I know I need a Speed Sensor in the axle. I want to keep my 5x5.5 bolt pattern, is there an axle that I can redrill to the 5x5.5 and still be able to fix the center section in my current rims?

Can't find any info on anyone doing this. I kind of want to keep a Full Float axle.

·
Banned
19,980 Posts
No. FF 1-ton axle hubs won't fit thru the center hole of a 1/2-ton rim. They probably wouldn't even fit if you cut the rim out to the lug holes. If you get big axles, you're getting big rims.

Whaddaya mean "keep a Full Float axle"? You don't have one now.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want a Full Float axle. not a Semi Float Axle.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
weren't the old ford 5-lug D60's a FF axle?? I know there was a guy not far from here selling one, I'll ask him about it

While I had 15" wheels on the back of my 1ton dodge, Steve is right, about the FF not fitting thru the center hold of a 5-lug wheel

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy Crap. Thats a spendy hub.. My Girlfreind would love the Purple one though:)

Anyone know where I can get that Tcase speed Sensor part? I had a link but can't find it..

A 9" axle would make me really happy.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Defeats his purpose. He wants to run the same wheel and tire combo as he has now.

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
Steve83 said:
No. FF 1-ton axle hubs won't fit thru the center hole of a 1/2-ton rim. They probably wouldn't even fit if you cut the rim out to the lug holes. If you get big axles, you're getting big rims.

Whaddaya mean "keep a Full Float axle"? You don't have one now.
you probably will have to modify the rims a tad or get new ones, but I know that Joe (theLegend) is running a 5 lug setup on his 14 bolt, and his front dynatrac 60. you can redrill the 14 bolt drums, or discs if you like, to 5x5.5. but it will take some work

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Am I correct that the 14bolt is the axle that I want though? I would rather not go D60 or somthing like that if I don't need too. because of the cost.

I have a Semi float D60 in the back but since it's like an 84 it wont work :(

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
davids78bronco said:
weren't the old ford 5-lug D60's a FF axle?? I know there was a guy not far from here selling one, I'll ask him about it

While I had 15" wheels on the back of my 1ton dodge, Steve is right, about the FF not fitting thru the center hold of a 5-lug wheel
The one that was in my '70 F100 was a semi-float D60 with 5 on 5.5 15" rims. I don't know if that's what you mean by "old ford."

Bronco85 said:
Am I correct that the 14bolt is the axle that I want though? I would rather not go D60 or somthing like that if I don't need too. because of the cost.

I have a Semi float D60 in the back but since it's like an 84 it wont work :(
:scratchhe Either way, your going to have to make one work with VSS on your 93.

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
rear 60's are cheap. i picked mine up for essentially free, PO bought it for 80 bucks. and you dont really need the VSS since your truck is an 85, your motor doesnt rely on the rear VSS to shift or monitor anything. 14 bolt, 9", or D60 would all be good candidates. 9" would let you keep your 5x5.5 pattern, and warn makes a full float kit for it (kinda $$$$ though). 14 bolt is a really strong axle, but the pig is really big and its 8x6.5 ( can be drilled down though) and 60's are just slightly heavier than the 8.8, and can handle up to 38's with ease. I'm personally running a FF 60 rear, spooled, and the housing is drilled for the VSS sensor which i need

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya '93 Bronco not my '85 Bronco.

Hmm, never thought of buying a tone ring. Is it just a press on fit? how does it work?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
bigbroncojeff said:
first post says it's a 93... not his 85..../ but if you buy or fab a tone ring and set up your vss sensor you can get whatever axle you want.... or am i crazy??

Correct. He already has his axle...sf D60, now just do what I did ('95 bronco, from pics above), and you're set. You need to buy the spicer toner for $8 (think you'll like that cost), this was pressed on a detroit, so pop your D60 diff cover and see if it will accept the toner, if not, you would likely have to do a little grind to allow acceptance of the key if the flat mount surface is there. Up top, a large drill bit through the flat surface for an 8.8 sensor, and you're in like slim. But be careful, da debil's in da detail.

Edit: you can find more detail under my SAS swap on my stupidmotors site, but the toner you will then calibrate just like you dropped a 10.25 in (same 120 tooth count, 8.8 is 108)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts