Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a new radiator but I am over heating with the a/c on if I sit at a light to long....what is going on? what can I do to stop this? :banghead

Also, I wanted an intake but K&N and S&B suck a$$ so I just went with an AIRAID drop in and a TB spacer from them too, but my question is, I know I can do an intake mod on a powerstroke for more power, are there any intake mods for our intakes? :beer

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Is your fan clutch operating as it should?? Fan shroud intact?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
:stupid

Coolant level and condition? Thermostat been replaced in the last couple years? Radiator cap good? Original radiator? You'll need to test the radiator core and the fan clutch to be sure on those two items. I'd recommend a replacement radiator if it's at all in doubt.

Are you sure it's overheating, or are you going by the factory gauge?

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
ditch the tb spacer, it does nothing.

The best thing you can do for a 351 intake is to get rid of it. They blow ass.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:stupid

Coolant level and condition? Thermostat been replaced in the last couple years? Radiator cap good? Original radiator? You'll need to test the radiator core and the fan clutch to be sure on those two items. I'd recommend a replacement radiator if it's at all in doubt.

Are you sure it's overheating, or are you going by the factory gauge?
Im going by the factory gauge....the t-stat was just done, the radiator is brand new, so is the cap...water pump is new and a so is a lot of other stuff...

ditch the tb spacer, it does nothing.

The best thing you can do for a 351 intake is to get rid of it. They blow ass.

How do I "get rid of an intake? I need to filter the air, as for the TB spacer, I saw the dyno results on another guys rig and it was 3 hp and .5 MPG's....so it does do something, not a lot but something

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
Im going by the factory gauge....

That's probably a large part of the problem; the factory gauges are decoration at best. Aftermarket gauges are highly recommended around here, and they're cheap & easy enough to install to make them worth the effort. The same goes for the oil pressure gauge. It's not even a gauge, really.

How do I "get rid of an intake? I need to filter the air, as for the TB spacer, I saw the dyno results on another guys rig and it was 3 hp and .5 MPG's....so it does do something, not a lot but something
He's trying to help you not waste your money. Your ass dyno needs to be recalibrated if it thinks it can feel 3 hp. Half a mile per gallon can be easily attributed to a number of other factors, including driving style, atmospheric conditions, fuel quality, etc. Spending money on that stuff could go a long way toward other things like ignition system maintenance, drivetrain components and lube, synthetic oils, etc. Those will not only help you get better efficiency, but also help the truck live longer.

Also, it's a very well-known fact that the most restrictive component in the entire 5.8L engine setup is the intake manifold, followed by the heads and exhaust system. You get rid of an intake by replacing it with another one. :toothless e.g. an Edelbrock, Trick Flow, GT40/Lightning/Explorer, etc. Strapping more components onto it will not help, and that's what we're trying to tell you, assuming you're looking for real power gains.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking for real power gains...but I don't want to get huge into the motor with internals and all....I have long tube headers, no cats, flowmaster series 44 mufflers, and a true dual setup, I have the AirAid Drop in, I have Taylor Plug Wires, I have the PowerAid Spacer, and I have the JET performance chip....

As for the overheating...its on the gauge only, not the motor but the temp spikes when the a/c is on and its idling...as long as im moving the a/c can run on max, but when Im stopped I have to turn it off...

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
Best place for power on your motor is in the intake and heads. You're looking at some decent money though.

Sell your TB spacer, and the Jet chip to someone who doesn't know any better now that you know, and put that money towards some real upgrades.

Put a good high flow cat on there as well... you're losing power without it. Believe me, I ran without one for a year, and after I put a nice Magnaflow one on there, I'd never go back.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so the 25hp that I have from the chip and the Tb spacer isn't worth it? i am sinking money into other things on this, for instance the Diesel that will go in it next year for sure...I just want good power now out this this 207k mile hog and I don't want it to overheat in this 110 degree AZ weather

·
Registered
204 Posts
from what your saying with the over heating deal, sounds like your fan clutch assuming what you say is brand new is brand new. or possibly low coolent.

i wont chime in on the performance stuff, cause really the ports in your head are only one size, you can really only get so much air in and so much air out, but i hear the intakes are restrictive and they will help out a little, a high flo cat will not make any diff enless your stock on is clogged, and a throttle body spacer will for sure make no diff, maybe on a carb or throttle body injected engine, but for sure not multi port inj like yours....

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no cats...you're saying a hi-flow would be better? and the fan clutch assembly...anyone know the part number(s) off the top of their heads?

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
The fuel injection control was designed with having a little bit of restriction in mind. Having less then stock is definitely better, but you don't want zero restriction.

You're NOT getting 25hp from the chip. Just because they slap a sticker on it saying its "OMG! +25HP INSTANTLY ON PERFORMANCE MODE 19!" doesn't mean you actually got any performance. All you probably got out of it was having to run premium on an engine with a compression ratio that doesn't need it.

Pull the chip, and bump your base timing from 10 to 14 degrees. Do the Sixlitre upgrade too.

·
ate lug
88, 90, 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,191 Posts
I agree on the chip.

I have no cats...you're saying a hi-flow would be better?
Yes, you probably dont have enough backpressure with the duals & no cats. Just because dual 3" pipes (just an example) & no cats sounds cool, it doesnt mean it actually performs better. A properly sized exhaust with (aftermarket) cats & mufflers will net you the proper backpressure for the engine to operate at peak efficiency.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wasn't saying that I had 25 hp from the chip, I was saying the dyno results said 22hp on premium fuel and the and the dyno said 3 from the TB spacer...now it may all be bullshiz but every little bit helps....oh well...to each his own....what is the sixlitre mod? and I have 2.5 inch duals and flowmaster series 44 mufflers so that doesn't have enough back pressure? wow...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wasn't saying that I had 25 hp from the chip, I was saying the dyno results said 22hp on premium fuel and the and the dyno said 3 from the TB spacer...now it may all be bullshiz but every little bit helps....oh well...to each his own....what is the sixlitre mod? and I have 2.5 inch duals and flowmaster series 44 mufflers so that doesn't have enough back pressure? wow...

Umm, ok. I think I heard the same thing from a kid driving a civic and trying to act out the fast and the furious. Don't believe the hype man.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
Hey, shut up! My FSB.com sticker gives me an extra 50 lb-ft of torque! :rofl:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, shut up! My FSB.com sticker gives me an extra 50 lb-ft of torque! :rofl:
LMAO...I hate hondas and their stickers.....I know chips don't do as much for gasser as they do for diesels but the programmers on my diesels did a great job so I figured that I'd do it on the bronco....It was free so I'll run free HP..ya know?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
Yeah, I know. Diesels have it pretty easy: just dump more fuel in. :rofl: I know, it's a ton more than that, but that's the gist of it. It's not the Honda, it's the suburban teen **** driving the riced up fart-canned and park bench-winged Civics, those damn Ghey and the Furious (say it with a lisp) movies, and that whole 'import racer' crowd of morons. Even a damn econobox Focus can be riced out; I've seen quite a few. But what really chaps my ass is these stupid-ass white kids, riding in mommy's car with the stereo turned up so loud it's distorting and damaging the speakers, while the seat is back so far that they can't see above the steering wheel. The only thing you see is a goddamn baseball cap turned half sideways. Seriously, do they think that's cool? F*ck me, that's asking for an ass-kicking IMO. Dressing like clowns and shit. Pffft. Yeah, we know. You're white, you want to think you're not from a rich neighborhood, but we know you are. Go play around the train tracks. :D Okay, rant over.

The chips and things for these trucks (assuming we're talking 1988-1996 models here) don't work nearly as well as a little bit of knowledge into how the systems function together. Figuring out which parts suck and which ones are pretty good is half the battle. Most of the time, it's getting all of the parts to work well with each other that's the challenge. For example, changing the camshaft: big waste until everything else has been upgraded, e.g. much better heads, intake, full exhaust, and even then it's not really necessary.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't wait to get my diesel under the hood so that I can produce more power much easier...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.