Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright here is my f-ed up question. truck didnt start so checked fuel pump all relays good and fuses pump wasnt running. changed pump! truck started ran great. then shut it off went to turn it back on no fuel pump so jumped the pump with a battery pump works. rechecked all fuses and relays. check good. left pump jumped and tried starting didnt start. check for spark no spark, had power to coil all check for coil were good. but changed any how sense it was rusty. check distributer pulled the cap off and check the button noticed that the center was real loose. pulled the distributer and the bearing was worn out so replaced distributer. tryied starting still no spark so checked the dohope on the fire wall its in a heat sink and is gray next to were u pull the codes from. failed changed it. now when i try and turn it over there is no spark until i let the key go to off there is one blue spark from the coil. kinda weird to me. anyone ever have this problem.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sounds like your ignition switch under your steering collum. might need adjusted or replaced. Lets see what the experts say :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i just replaced it funny thing is this morning when i went to the garag just for shits and gigles i tried turning it over and the pump kicked on and started so i shut it off to try and restart it and nothing. no spark or fuel pump. its like after it sits for a while it resets its self. i tried pulling codes but got none. probably couse i had the battery out all night charging sense i ran it dead yesterday. prolly going to take it to a shop friday im done messing with it. did every test in the hanse manual. cant seem to nail it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
there are pieces inside the column that tend to due funny things like this at times. the pieces that engage the ignition switch is gear driven and can loose a tooth.. could be your problem among other things

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i pulled all the plastic of the stering column pulled the key lock out and watched the slider that moves to actuate the ignition relay/ module mounted on the bottom side of the column everything looks proper. problem is if i pull the relay/module off and actuate it by hand it does the same thing. it will rotate the motor and when i release it one spark from the coil.after the motor stops turning only if i pull it back to the of position if i just release it. it wont spark like that. kinda confused. did the fuel pump test from the test point under the hood and it checks good. starten to think the spark problem and fuel pump problem are controlled by what ever has failed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so im starten to think that the computer is reseting its self over night and when i go back out it will start. is there any way to bypass and get the coil to work properly say like a msd ignition control modual or somthing couse i can get the fuel pump to kick on no problem just hot wire it with a toggle and everything else works im getten power to the coil and it test good. just not putten out a spark. thinking about making one of those wired to start and run deals and canning all the other un nessasary things. or just take it to a shop and pay the $80 hourly rate to have them do everything i did all over again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So no wone has every ran in to this problem. ive spent the last week reading threads and nothing close usually people have problems with there starters or a bad ground for the fuel pump. havent found anything like my problem. im guessing sense i cant get any codes no won as any ideas. glade i finally have a hard problem that has stumped yall. haha well off to the dealer ship then i guess thanks for the help though and ill post what they find.

·
Registered
710 Posts
sorry, no help there... i'll state the obvious though. something is hooked up wrong. Sounds like you've got a crossed or shorted out wire someplace.

Has it gone to the dealer yet? I'll think about it some this evening, if I come up with anything i'll post it here.

maybe the ecu? people say that they either work or don't work, but I know that to be B.S. sometimes they just go all screwy.

maybe your grounds? check the body to engine, body to frame, and battery to ground. also wouldn't hurt to check your positive cable, as the big wire controls the starter, but the smaller one's control everything else, so your truck could turn over and nothing else happen....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im going to try and pick it up this weekend. the dang thing is killing me cant belive that it will shoot one spark when i turn the key from run to start but not when its turning over.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When the electrical gremilns come out to play check Battery, battery terminals (clean and tight) all ground connections (clean and tight) I had intermittent issues but once I replaced battery (6 years old) and cables from battery problems were gone. (so far been a year or so)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any one know were the relay for the computer is.

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,512 Posts
From another forum:

PCM relay is in the engine compartment fuse/relay box.

Courtesy of Bill aka "subford"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

this is what the hole problem was. the computer apparently had a resester pop and burned up the circute board. should have a new one tuesday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts