Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the Bronco home. The broker I used couldn't find a driver that would drop off close to my house in WV so I had to drive an hour the meet the truck. Met on Tuesday eve about 8:30, 18 degrees outside. They had come by way of Illinois so it was covered with salt. Drove home with no issues except it wanders. Motor runs good and the transmission seems fine. When I got in the driveway, I gave the front wheels a shake and the front end seemed tight. put it in 4x4 and done a u turn in my drive. To my surprise, the four wheel drive works fine even with auto hubs. Pushed the low range button and it worked flawless too.

Tonight I was able to get the salt washed off and pull it in the garage to check it out a little. It looked better in the pictures than in person. Definitely a diamond in the rough. It has several dents and dings and a couple of touched up places. The interior has a few broken pieces on the dash, missing armrest on the passenger seat, carpet needs replaced and the back window doesn't work. but I knew that before hand. The radius arms have been re bushed, ball joints have been replaced and the front brakes are good. The doors rattled bad but that was an easy fix just by adjusting the latch posts.

It's a far cry from pristine but has very little rust whatsoever. This is actually what I was looking for, a good solid truck to tinker with that isn't so nice that I wouldn't want to actually use it . The fun begins.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Post up some pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Gotta love bringing the new baby into the garage! Check your tire pressure I was having a really bad wonder (worse then normal for a steering box that’s going out) and my tires were about 10-15 lbs low. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch the steering box, that where my usual wonder comes from... there adjustable bug if you don’t know how ( I don’t that’s why mine isn’t fixed ) have a professional do it.

·
Premium Member
34,884 Posts
Turning the "adjustment" screw on any steering gearbox voids any warranty and while it's a "ok" fix, it's a sign that it's time to replace the gearbox. Check all the bushings and run through the cheap stuff first. Once you turn that "adjustment", you're overtightening all the guts, forcing them to wear out much faster.

Congrats on the new ride. Posting something like this without a pic of the rig is 1 infraction against your man-card.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Turning the "adjustment" screw on any steering gearbox voids any warranty and while it's a "ok" fix, it's a sign that it's time to replace the gearbox. Check all the bushings and run through the cheap stuff first. Once you turn that "adjustment", you're overtightening all the guts, forcing them to wear out much faster.

Congrats on the new ride. Posting something like this without a pic of the rig is 1 infraction against your man-card.
Actually no pics of new ride is automatic forfeiture of said man card.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts