Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 93 Bronco 302 4x4 with hopes of fixing it up (of course) and am having problems with the transmission. The motor seems fine but has a little miss which I think is a fuel injector. My big problem is the transmission goes through 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears really fast then starts jumping or stalling (not sure how to describe) around 25-30mph. I can manually shift through the gears but I have the problem again when I shift into drive. When I bought the Bronco it had the steering column cover off and the overdrive wires disconnected. The guy said they were sparking so he just never hooked them back up. I hooked them back up and there wasn’t any sparking and it drove well for about a week and it started messing up. A friend of mine said I would have to replace the transmission and I am hoping there is a chance that isn’t true. It’s something I want to do in the future but wanted to tackle a few other things first. It has 198,000 miles on it and everything looks stock and in pretty good condition without any major rust anywhere. Could the problem be a sensor or something else kinda simple?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is it throwing any codes? I'd start there first.

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 8.8, 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
138 Posts
Do this...

Check 1st gear, 2nd gear, and 3rd gear independently. Put it in those respective gears, and run it pretty hard. If the RPM's don't fluctuate, and it shifts fine, your clutch packs are good. If it's only in overdrive/4th gear that you're having issues, then I would guess it's electrical. Start researching common problems with those in the electrical connections. After that, research solenoid issues.

If your fluid doesn't smell burnt, and it shifts fine when you manually select gears, I don't think you need a new transmission. A solenoid or electrical gremlin could be causing you issues, though.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
What he said - Pull the codes from the computer.

Also - what size tires are on your Bronco? Are they larger than stock? Have you programmed the speedometer for the larger tires (free and easy).

And I highly doubt a "little miss" is a fuel injector.

Here's my 2 cents for anyone buying a used vehicle and not TRULY knowing the maintenance history (the seller telling you what he / she did does not count).

• New spark plugs
  • Check the condition of the spark plug wires you can use a multimeter to check if they are good / bad
  • Check / replace the air filter
  • At the very least run some fuel injection cleaner through the tank or better yet, pull the throttle body and clean it
  • Check the timing
These vehicles are over 20 years old - unless you are personally involved with the maintenance history, odds are the previous owners did what many do - they just drove it and probably changed the oil.

I'm going to assume you have the E4OD transmission. This is essentially a transmission that behaves / shifts based SOLEY on the ECM (computer) and the information it gets from various sensors (TPS, VSS etc).

Run a KOEO (Key On Engine Off) self test FIRST:

Then post the codes up.

After my experience chasing a "Transmission problem" that turned out to be a ECM problem, I found enough info to believe that more than a few owners have replaced perfectly GOOD E4OD transmissions when the problem was elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Do this...

Check 1st gear, 2nd gear, and 3rd gear independently. Put it in those respective gears, and run it pretty hard. If the RPM's don't fluctuate, and it shifts fine, your clutch packs are good. If it's only in overdrive/4th gear that you're having issues, then I would guess it's electrical. Start researching common problems with those in the electrical connections. After that, research solenoid issues.

If your fluid doesn't smell burnt, and it shifts fine when you manually select gears, I don't think you need a new transmission. A solenoid or electrical gremlin could be causing you issues, though.
Actually you can get confusing results trying this with the E4OD. Reason being, the E4OD relies on the ECM (and the input it gets from the TPS, VSS etc) to shift - including line pressure, shift timing and when to lock the converter. If you unplug the solenoid pack connector from the E4OD it will STILL shift. However it goes into "self-preservation" or limp mode and usually shifts at FULL line pressure to hopefully prevent transmission damage.

·
Super Moderator
25,795 Posts
Yo Pastor33,
Welcome!
E4OD Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is a LED and overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Is it flashing while driving?

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader
This test can identify perpetrators such as sensors, servos, switches, high line pressure, etc.
The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO & KOER.
A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.

BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS
Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.
Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.
■●■
●□●
Was speed control, if equipped, recall work completed? Check @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about desired modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members ).

Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf

1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via silver70 @

1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search. See more tips!

➡ See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

Try to find time to participate in our current Full-Size of the Quarter Contest & later, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
See pictures & build info of each Bronco nominated.
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Sucks that you are probably on the hook for a transmission...… but if you would have bought this new.... and run it 27 years and 200,000 miles on the original transmission.... you would be a happy camper..... and if you turned around an dumped it onto an unexpecting new owner for a nice sum.... then sir you would be a great business man. A real asshole but a great deal maker.

I feel your pain my 1993 E4OD is crapping out at only 165,000 … but at least I got 15 years out of it before her demise. Mine is doing the same thing. I guess I could be a asshole and try to sell it before it completely goes out.... but I'm not a great business man.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
check the codes FIRST.
Odds are if you don't feel slipping - and it will actually engage gears and move - you don't have a E4OD problem you have a sensor / wiring / ECM issue. I learned WAY MORE than I ever wanted to know about the E4OD and how it interacts with ECM and all the sensor when I was chasing the problem it my 95 - turns out a faulty ECM can cause crazy stuff when it comes to the E4OD.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I recently purchased a 93 Bronco 302 4x4 with hopes of fixing it up (of course) and am having problems with the transmission. The motor seems fine but has a little miss which I think is a fuel injector. My big problem is the transmission goes through 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears really fast then starts jumping or stalling (not sure how to describe) around 25-30mph. I can manually shift through the gears but I have the problem again when I shift into drive. When I bought the Bronco it had the steering column cover off and the overdrive wires disconnected. The guy said they were sparking so he just never hooked them back up. I hooked them back up and there wasn’t any sparking and it drove well for about a week and it started messing up. A friend of mine said I would have to replace the transmission and I am hoping there is a chance that isn’t true. It’s something I want to do in the future but wanted to tackle a few other things first. It has 198,000 miles on it and everything looks stock and in pretty good condition without any major rust anywhere. Could the problem be a sensor or something else kinda simple?
This may be a tough one. Is your speedometer jumping arount as the transmission is not shifting properly? Had this problem on other Broncos, where the PCM cannot recei ve a signal which is routed through the Antilock brake module, and the transmission goes into limp mode. Limp mode will cause the transmission to stay in a lower gear, and it will shift very hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No. It’s doesn’t jump around. I also don’t stay in low gear. It goes through 1st, 2nd and 3rd really fast and shoots into overdrive. It bogs down because the RPMs are too low at that point. I can manually shift down and get my power back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts