Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well got a leak on my drivers side front brake line its right where the line runs through the shock tower to the caliper. where can i get a replacement line?
or can i just cut the brake line from the booster rerun it AROUND the shock tower and connect it to the calipers flexible line?? ---> that would be cheaper for me because i have brake line and the correct fittings for the job because i just replaced my rear brake lines....

its hard to explain sorry i don't have a digital camera so i cant post the pictures( if anyone has shots of this line please post it so i can explain it better thanks).

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Well got a leak on my drivers side front brake line its right where the line runs through the shock tower to the caliper. where can i get a replacement line?
So it's leaking right at the shock tower? I *think* that is where 2 brake lines connect (one from behind the coil tower, and one from the coil tower to the caliper). Could it just be lose?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i tighten it the best i could its real rusted so its starting the leak around the fitting where the two lines meet.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
So it's leaking right at the shock tower? I *think* that is where 2 brake lines connect (one from behind the coil tower, and one from the coil tower to the caliper). Could it just be lose?
yea thats where the two lines connect. Theres a retaining clip that holds them in the slot..... Grab a buddy and get him to hop in the truck and with it running press on the brakes.... clean off the lines with a rag and some solevent to see where the fluids comming from. If its the hard line, you can either go buy brake line from an auto store and bend it yourself, or buy a pre-bent kit( i replaced all my hard lines with a pre-bent kit from LMC truck....) or if its the rubber hose, you can just order the one line....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its neither that my problem its right where they meet where they go through the shock tower, thats why i was wondering if i can re run the line around the tower to eliminate the line going through the shock tower.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
hey man, heres both part numbers from LMC....

The Stainless steel pre-bent hard line kit - $219.95 part# 45-4712
The rubber hose (drivers side) LH - $22.95 Part# 45-4486

There pretty fast with shipping too. I swear by them..
Its just a clip holding the two pieces together.. Id leave it there. Find out exactly where its leaking and replace it.. Considering brakes and very important dont be cheap with them..Good luck with everything....

·
Registered
777 Posts
It should be a double flare like all the other lines. you should be able to replace the fitting.

You probably want to keep the mounting point, since the brake line flexes with the wheel, and the hard line doesn't tolerate bending much.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
its neither that my problem its right where they meet where they go through the shock tower, thats why i was wondering if i can re run the line around the tower to eliminate the line going through the shock tower.
If you put a longer brake line on it, you could go around the coil tower instead of through it.

I personally would replace it with a "custom fit" replacement, as i don't have the patience to sit there and cut, bend, flare, bend, bend, bend, flare.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
I looked on AutoZone's website and the drivers side front brake hose (the rubber part) is part number 70672. Down here in Georgia, it shows to be $27.99.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if i could just get a closer look at the end where the top fitting is that goes to the coil tower i wanted to see what i could do...
so it would not be a good idea to cut the top of the line and rerun it around the tower and connect to the booster line...

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
It doesn't go to the master cylinder on a 1993 model. It goes to the hydraulic control unit, located on top of the driver's side frame rail, just in front of the steering gear.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh i was not sure where it went from under the truck i saw it go up so i though it went to the booster... OK then so i guess i have the replace the caliper line first and see if that helps. its leaking right at the top of that line where it connects to the tower then to the other line.
how does the caliper line connect to the tower is it treaded or something because i see it has a nut at the fitting?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
No. There is a metal clip that slides into a groove in the brake hose on the back side of the shock tower, and it must be removed AFTER removing the metal brake line. The hex is there so you can hold onto it while you're attaching/detaching the brake line.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
It doesn't go to the master cylinder on a 1993 model. It goes to the hydraulic control unit, located on top of the driver's side frame rail, just in front of the steering gear.
I had the same problem I just went to the hydraulic control unit since the line is braided or wire wrapped. If you do go to the unit take your old line with you cause the fitting to the unit is an odd size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts