Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 1993 5.8L. When I purchased the bronco two months ago the owner stated he had "Disconnected the e-break becuase it got stuck" now at the time I didnt think anything of it. However after a week of owning the car the parking break light has come on, And has been on since. The parking break light went away for about one minute randonly while I was driving but has since returned. I have to get the car inspected and if the parking break light is on it will fail. So the other day I depressed the parking break and it went down fine and released fine, There was no change to the light on the dash. I went and tried a second time however the pedal does not move a centimeter down, I have no idea why. I haven't put that much time into diagnosing the issue but I was curious to what you all thought. I did check the break fluid and the reservoir is half full, I will be topping it off tomorrow to see if that fixes the issue. I just find it odd that i was able to oush the pedal in but now I can not.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
First, perhaps the switch behind the parking brake is stuck and needs replacement. Or check out this older post from Seattle FSB. This is on the driver's side along the frame rail and very visible.

Below is from Seattle FSB way back in 2010.

In my experience, the brake light themselves can usually be attributed to a sticky master cylinder due to old contaminated brake fluid. I have had the brake pedal stick down and not return unless I manually pulled up on the pedal with my foot. This occurred until I conducted a complete hydraulic fluid pressure flush with my Motive Power Bleeder to remove all contaminants. I also added Russell Speed Bleeders which really made brake bleeding a simple one person job.

In my second experience, I have had a worn Parking Brake Adjuster. The new Lokar Parking Brake Cable came with an adjuster that utilized the old "maleable' U-shaped link that quickly deformed as it is supposed to for wear compensation. The Parking Brake Light went from always on to so loose that it would never go on and hold the vehicle. The problem was that the link bent to it's maximum postion causing a very loose flopping cable that would no longer hold the Parking Brake. My solution was to remove the maleable link and replace it with an adjustable "eye" bolt.

New Lokar Parking Brake Cable with existing Maleable Link

Worn Maleable Adjuster (held together with a zip tie)

Adjustable Eye Bolt Fix

·
Super Moderator
23,930 Posts
Yo B,
For now, here's an overview;
Cable-Actuated Rear Wheel Parking Brake
"If your Brake Warning Light does light up with the key in the ON position, you may not have
fully released the parking brake or the brake fluid may be low."

"On F-150, F-250, F-350 and Bronco, each rear wheel brake assembly contains a cable-actuated parking brake assembly. F-150, F-250, F-350 and Bronco use a release handle which is built into the parking brake control (2780)."
"Rear Brake Assembly, F-150 and Bronco

ItemPart NumberDescription
12211Brake Backing Plate
2Parking Lever Pivot Point
(Part of 2211)
32200Rear Brake Shoe and Lining
42066Brake Shoe Hold-Down Spring Cup
52A637Parking Brake Lever
6Pivot Hook (Part of 2200)
72A635Parking Brake Rear Cable and Conduit, Right
82049Brake Shoe Adjusting Screw Spring
92200Rear Brake Shoe and Lining
102A601Parking Brake Link Spring
112A642Primary Brake Shoe Parking Brake Lever Link

If the parking brake control (2780) is not fully released, the parking brake signal switch and bracket will cause the brake warning light to illuminate. The parking brake signal switch and bracket is mounted on the parking brake control."

"Inspection & Cleaning...Inspect the parking brake control (2780) and look for loose mounting bolts, damaged or missing parts. Operate the parking brake and check for binding or seized components. Raise and support the vehicle and remove any debris that may interfere with parking brake operation. Check the condition of the parking brake cables. Look for abrasion or cables rubbing on body or frame parts. Repair, replace or reroute as necessary. Remove the brake drums (1126) and have an assistant operate the parking brake just enough to observe operation. Look for damaged or missing parts. Lubricate parking brake parts with Disc Brake Caliper Slide Grease D7AZ-19590-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C172-A..."
Switch Operation; "... Its contacts are exposed, so you can clean them. The dash light should come on if you turn the key to RUN & short the switch's wire to the brake mechanism chassis..."

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
752 Posts
Is the lever itself broke (under the dash) or something under the truck, po didn’t give you any other details? Not sure of your location but maybe if your in someone’s area that could take a quick peek? I know I would if your around me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had a similar experience with my 95. I did a brake job on it and while I was there I replaced all the e-brake cables back to the pedal in the cab because they were rusty. My brake pedal was also "sticky" - replaced the switch and while I was there I removed the pedal mechanism and it was really, really stiff. Worked that free and reinstalled, better but still not perfect. Ended up replacing the booster and that fixed everything up. Maybe a bit overkill but parts were cheap, I was in there anyway and brakes are important.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello everyone thank you for your replys! I spent more time this weekend looking into it and I forgot to mention the old owner replaced the master cylinder and few other components for the brakes after filling up the master cylinder with some fluid the break light went away there seems to be a small leak some where I have to sort out.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,640 Posts
Yeah, the same light is used for the parking brake & fluid level. As for low fluid it can be caused by a leak, or the brakes wearing down over time. As the pads wear thinner, more fluid is needed to push them further to do the same job. So more of the fluid ends up in the caliper & less in the MC. Check the brakes for wear while you're at it.

·
Super Moderator
23,930 Posts
little different question, but my EB handle on a 93 is broken also... any suggestions on where to find a replacement? you can email me direct at [email protected]
Yo N2,
Grab one from a yard queen.
For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
Quality Replacement Parts | Find Used Auto Parts | Online Locator
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped.
"...For over eighty years, Hollander has been making the best tool for fast, interchangeable part matches. The new Edition Hollander Interchange contains more interchangeable options than ever before.
The Hollander Interchange provides auto recyclers and auto collectors, rebuilders, and others with the easiest and most comprehensive solution for identifying interchangeable auto parts..." See their yard Directory @: Seller Directory | Used Auto Parts | Hollanderparts
Can select certain parts[, /B] including some Canadian yards.
Has Vehicle Pics for some vehicles
If a specific part, such as the handle isn't listed, search again for the next higher assembly, such as in this instance, front carpet.
one result for example;

Rocki Top Auto Salv. LLC.
W. 3095 Walthrath Rd. Glen Flora, WI 54526
[email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts