Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody,

i've been looking at a 93 bronco . auto trans. i took it for a test drive today. it ran good until it started to shudder. i was going around 40. it stopped after a little. it did it twice. what could be wrong?

thanks

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
hi everybody,

i've been looking at a 93 bronco . auto trans. i took it for a test drive today. it ran good until it started to shudder. i was going around 40. it stopped after a little. it did it twice. what could be wrong?

thanks
What could cause a shudder at 40?
Alignment
Tires
Tire balance
balljoints
radius arm bushings
Pivot bushings
Tie rid ends
Driveshaft balance
Bent axle
loose lugnuts
bent wheel
bad motor mounts
rough road
I think I got them all.....:shrug

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
24,002 Posts
Alignment
Tires
Tire balance
balljoints
radius arm bushings
Pivot bushings
Tie rid ends
Driveshaft balance
Bent axle
loose lugnuts
bent wheel
bad motor mounts
rough road
forgot...

loose nut behind wheel.

:goodfinge

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,689 Posts
Midgets on the driveshaft. Happens to everybody.

Pull codes. Search if you don't know how to. I'm betting on a code 628, assuming it's not a wheel or driveshaft problem. :toothless

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alignment
Tires
Tire balance
balljoints
radius arm bushings
Pivot bushings
Tie rid ends
Driveshaft balance
Bent axle
loose lugnuts
bent wheel
bad motor mounts
rough road
well its an intermintent shudder. so i think that rules out at least alignment (which it needs anyway), tires (also needs but not right away), loose lugnuts, bent wheel and the rough road. those would all give a constant shudder. could it be the tranny?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Honestly, yes it could be the tranny, but usually when the E4OD lets go, it gets really ugly, really fast. Mine started doing more of a clunk than a shudder when it died.
For me, a shudder at a certain speed, 35 for me, was a tire issue.

·
Registered
88 Posts
yeah. it was 2 completely random times it shuddered. i'm almost positive it's coming from the rear of the truck.

would the u-joints have a constant shudder?
No, like a bad tire, or one simply out of balance, certain rpm's, or a change in speed, will cause them to vibrate more than at other times. It sound like they could be very dry and are about to go, so I would certainly take them out and inspect them. I will be willing to bet that one of them is bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it does need tires and alignment. i want to buy it but i want to know whats wrong with it, if its serious or not. it was a local trade in that they are putting on the lot for 2 weeks before they send them to auction. they dont look over the vehicles at all so they dont know whats wrong.

·
big, long, hard
5,974 Posts
it does need tires and alignment. i want to buy it but i want to know whats wrong with it, if its serious or not. it was a local trade in that they are putting on the lot for 2 weeks before they send them to auction. they dont look over the vehicles at all so they dont know whats wrong.

If you don't know how to check things out yourself, take it to a local mechanic. It could be well worth a hundred bucks to get a professional opinion.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just judging from the sounds of what MIGHT be wrong I would think worst case scenario COULD be a bad pinion bearing. How much are they asking for this Bronco? I know it's a 93, but how many miles on it, and what are the options?
If it's fairly low miles, and the price is right, and the only thing is a shudder it sounds like it still might be a good deal. Then again I haven't seen it, so.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
93 bronco xlt. 137,000 miles. automatic. good condition, power everything. manual hubs. it needs at least shocks, tires and an alignment. $1,500 i would like to know if its serious or not. i'm not going to put more than i bought it for into it.

i want to say again-its an intermittent shudder. nothing constant.

·
Registered
767 Posts
93 bronco xlt. 137,000 miles. automatic. good condition, power everything. manual hubs. it needs at least shocks, tires and an alignment. $1,500 i would like to know if its serious or not. i'm not going to put more than i bought it for into it.

i want to say again-its an intermittent shudder. nothing constant.
What motor?

Offer $1000 or less.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.