Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't find anything..when I turn on the a/c the clutch engages and the compressor makes a clicking sound..the a/c doesn't cool either. I just bought the bronco a couple months ago and it has done this since the day I brought it home..the previous owner told me it gradually got warm and he charged it and it did nothing for it..any troubleshooting techniques? thanks guys

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,499 Posts
Check the high and low side pressure with a manifold gauge set. If they are in range, it could be a faulty lower pressure/clutch cycling switch. It's located on the accumulator on the passenger side of the engine compartment. The clicking noise you are hearing is most likely the clutch cycling off and on very quickly because the refrigerant level (and resulting pressure) is low.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man..I checked the low side pressure and its good but no cooling..I will do some more checking..great advice man thanks

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,499 Posts
Anytime :beer

·
Registered
413 Posts
i have the same issue with my 88. low on freon is my issue but being r12:banghead , i am just going to convert to 134. the low pressure will normally be fine its the high pressure that you need to check....

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Check the high and low side pressure with a manifold gauge set. If they are in range, it could be a faulty lower pressure/clutch cycling switch. It's located on the accumulator on the passenger side of the engine compartment. The clicking noise you are hearing is most likely the clutch cycling off and on very quickly because the refrigerant level (and resulting pressure) is low.
Yup^^^^^

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,499 Posts
i have the same issue with my 88. low on freon is my issue but being r12:banghead , i am just going to convert to 134. the low pressure will normally be fine its the high pressure that you need to check....

Why go through the pain of converting to an inferior refrigerant and risk ruining a compressor because of residual ester oil mixing with the PAG used in R-134a systems? Plenty of drop-in replacements available for R-12 systems that are compatible with ester oil such as Freeze 12, Dura Cool, Auto Frost, etc?

·
Registered
196 Posts
The oil in the r12 is mineral oil.Ester and pag are both compatible with 134.Ester is more expensive and less caustic than pag.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am doing the changeover completely.. new comp, evap., the works...

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,499 Posts
The oil in the r12 is mineral oil.Ester and pag are both compatible with 134.Ester is more expensive and less caustic than pag.

Thanks for the correction. My mistake for thinking one thing, then typing in another!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright guys sorry It has taken me so long to follow up. I jumped the switch and it does the exact same thing..just a "clicking" noise..the clutch spins when I turn the a/c on but it doesn't cool. My gauge reads 43psi. So my refrigerant is good. Is it a bad compressor/or clutch or could it be a blockage? What are some other tests I can perform?

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,499 Posts
Sounds like a bad compressor. The test is to check the high and low side pressure and measure the vent temperature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The clutch engages and it has 45lbs on the low side..didn't check the high side because I can pretty much figure that it is a bad compressor..I ordered a new compressor,orifice tube, and dryer..i have a vacuum pump and I bought a couple of aerosol cans of flush so looks like i will be doing a full overhaul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts