Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 302 has developed a ping in the last few months, its gotten so bad that i cant go 60 without it pinging, i checked for vac leaks and the MIL is not illuminated so i checked base timming and it was about 13 so i backed it off to 10 and it got a little better, so i went to 6 or 7 and now its gone. will there be a loss of power with the timing retarded? should i try to go after the original culprit of the ping or can i let it go for now. thanks

·
Registered
852 Posts
They change the gas formula in the winter. When it gets warm again, they will change it back and it will stop pinging. Thats about all I've got. Anyone else?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Good try on gas, but not so much.

When is the last time you did a tune up? A full tune up, wires, plugs, fluids, clean TB, IAC etc etc?

Put the timing back to 10 and make sure you are at ten. pull the plugs and look at them. Seafoam the engine before the tune up, put some octane booster in there to see if that helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just last week i replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, air filter, and fuel filter. plugs looked and smelled normal, i also cleaned the TB. I also live in houston, I would be suprised if we used a winter blend. ill give sea-foam a try, 140,000 miles might have carbon buildup in combustion chamber?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I lived in the Palm Springs area almost my whole life and they changed the gas there. I think it gets changed before it is delivered anywhere.:scratchhe

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
just last week i replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, air filter, and fuel filter. plugs looked and smelled normal, i also cleaned the TB. I also live in houston, I would be suprised if we used a winter blend. ill give sea-foam a try, 140,000 miles might have carbon buildup in combustion chamber?
I had carbon build up in my 302 after only just breaking in the motor, which IIRC was about 7000 miles.

Did you double check that you have the correct firing order?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Check the routing of the wires and make sure there is no crossfire. there is a tsb on here that you can search for that will tell you how to route the wires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts