Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 FS

I've looked through the forums and really don't know where to find info that will help me overhaul my rear diff. So, sorry for what's probably a stupid question.

My 351 runs like an ox after well over 200k miles. I just had the E4OD overhauled and it was very spendy. The rear end is in bad shape ... do you guys have any suggestions? I don't know what type I have, I did have it open and flushed and refilled with synthetic, also spendy but it leaks like a mother at the front (trans) side. The trans guy tells me the diff needs to be tended to immediately before driving any further. There is a sticker on the diff with 837f on it.

I am pretty handy, have done most work on my cars including auto trans, engine etc in the past, but this truck stuff is new to me.

Any advice / pointers as to at least figuring out what I have, would be highly appreciated :whiteflag

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Av.Nine! I just looked at the steel tag on one of the cover bolts and it reads: 3L55 88 4G18

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, right now I know the shaft moves a lot according to my transmission guy .. so I need to replace bearings or what not. Never done it. Does the rear axle have to come off completely? It whines and clunks as well.... he says I need bearings and seals and he doesn't know what else. Ring and pinion were mentioned ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe, the last maybe 10 miles I have replaced the fluid with hi-perf truck gear oil, something like 75W-150 synth Moobil One. BLOODY expensive and now I have to lose all that oil again LOL. Anyway I know treansaxles very well and I know that slippery oil will not harm a LSD.

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,448 Posts
The limited slip REQUIRES an additive in the fluid. May be part of the whine. If you are going through it that fast the expensive stuff seems like a waste. A couple of times filling with syn oil will pay for the seals. You will have to pull the cover to view the ring/pinion they should be OK unless you have run dry a lot, but if it is just the front seals and bearings that should not be to bad. No the whole axle does not need to come out. But you do need to be able to crawl around under it.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Put "rebuilding ford 8.8 rear end" in Google and YouTube and it should give you plenty of info. I'm not being a wise ass....it's helped me ouy many times. At the very least it will let you know if you can handle the job.:thumbup

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I feel that with you guys' advice I'm now in a much better position to attack this problem. Thanks :) So ... looks like a job I could do ... I called around a bit and the best quote I got was $600. Whoa! Are the rebuild parts in a kit and available from a parts store? Guess I'll google it :) So my $3,000 Bronco is looking more like $8,000 Bronco and then it needs shocks, tyres etc. Sweet LOL. Maybe I shouldn't have started down this path.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I need to buy the Factory Service Manuals ... any pointers to the best deal would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ebay

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Looks like I need to buy the Factory Service Manuals ... any pointers to the best deal would be greatly appreciated!
or if your thrifty you might be able to get a good shape 9" and swap it in. part failure is no better time to upgrade. ok so maybe thats not the best idea, still would be a good time to upgrade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys ... PFun, so if I DID upgrade ... what would I upgrade to? I have the 8.8 with LSD as AV.Nine and Joe pointed out above. I mean ... this is where I get to throw even more hard-earned green at the thing ...

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
OK I feel that with you guys' advice I'm now in a much better position to attack this problem. Thanks :) So ... looks like a job I could do ... I called around a bit and the best quote I got was $600. Whoa! Are the rebuild parts in a kit and available from a parts store? Guess I'll google it :) So my $3,000 Bronco is looking more like $8,000 Bronco and then it needs shocks, tyres etc. Sweet LOL. Maybe I shouldn't have started down this path.
Haha...Yeah and my 700.00 Bronco is looking like a 3000.00 Bronco! Hell, I aint complaining, very fun and addictive trucks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks guys ... PFun, so if I DID upgrade ... what would I upgrade to? I have the 8.8 with LSD as AV.Nine and Joe pointed out above. I mean ... this is where I get to throw even more hard-earned green at the thing ...
Well a 9" out of an early 80's truck would bolt in. Gives you positive axle retention (as in, if a axleshaft breaks, your wheel won't pass you). Also the middle part (third member) comes out so you can do gear swaps and whatever one the bench.

I used to keep two third members, one welded for summer, and one open for winter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts