Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for some ideas on this but didn't find what I needed, and if this is in the wrong category correct me :thumbup Thought this may apply to some broncos as well.

To start, the truck is my 94 F250 with the 351w and an e40d. A couple of months ago I had the transmission rebuilt after it started slipping and acting weird. After the rebuild it drove great but started having random problems like shifting into neutral while driving. brought it back and had him put a new mlps in it, stopped it from going into neutral but still acts weird, leading me to believe it has an electrical problem. It would drive great some days and others it would shift hard, or not want to shift out of 1st. replaced the vss and tps with no luck. kind of gave up on that problem for now.

Then driving home from work this week, the CEL comes on, then shortly after the engine starts stumbling. pulled in the driveway and it died. wouldn't start. Next day it fired right up. Let it idle for 20 min with no problem or CEL. still didn't drive it to be safe. Had my brother run codes on it and it showed around 22 different codes! of those he told me one was the coolant temp sensor and another was the egr canister purge valve or something like that. Now the CEL comes on as soon as its started and the truck barely runs, smokes white and black. Where do I start? I don't want to just throw parts and sensors at it. Could the pcm cause the tranny problems and now this? It has ran fine for the last year before this. Any Help is appreciated :beer

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I have been trying to track down a vacuum leak. I knew I had a vacuum leak because when I'd step on the gas my ac would go from vent to defrost until I let out of the gas. I believe is from the brake master cylinder because my brakes have been acting funny. Could that have any effect on my CEL and engine troubles?

·
Super Moderator
26,078 Posts
yo Eric,
Will the rebuilder test it for Codes for free and resolve all trans issues without begging him?

Need those codes; With so many it could be a number of common issues; such as Reference Voltage or Signal Return Ckt(s) damaged

For vacuum leak test
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206824&highlight=Vacuum+Leak+Test;+idling
see my post #11
I don't see a correlation between those two codes, the issues and the trans problems.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wouldn't be suprised if it was your ecm. I've had it go bad twice on my 94 bronco. If you have a lot of codes and some not even related to each other, I'd get one from a jy and test it

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check to make sure all the grounds were reinstalled correctly. It may still have an ecu issue, but I have seen ground issues cause random issues like you describe.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the delay, I'm never on here anymore..

Put in a new ecu, fixed everything including the transmission! :beer

Also put in new spark plugs and o2 sensor just to tune it up a bit. Been running great now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts