Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the equipment that composed the Tow Package, but is there a way to tell from the VIN sticker codes (inside the driver door) if the Bronco came with the Tow Package? This would be simpler than asking a seller (who doesn’t know what they’re selling) for specific equipment! Thanks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I just looked at my VIN and there is nothing to indicate tow packages etc. I would get a Marti report if I were you. Turnaround is pretty quick.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,069 Posts
Big radiator, AT trans cooler, rear trailer 7 pin connector are the obvious clues.... trucks of this era did NOT come with a hitch from the factory.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,861 Posts
Also, look for the skinny relays box alongside (behind, looking at the engine bay from the grille) the main relays box in the engine bay. No such box, no factory tow package.

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,322 Posts
Quad shocks on the front is another visual clue.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,861 Posts
Often stated, but untrue. Mine has quad shocks but no tow package.

Disclaimer: It was a forest service vehicle, so perhaps they special ordered a non-standard package.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I second the not true... I have quad shocks, but had to add the class IV hitch, make the wiring harness for the 5, 6, and 7 pin trailer connectors. It had the stock 2 core radiator, but did have the (still does have) the transmission cooler.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Big radiator, AT trans cooler, rear trailer 7 pin connector are the obvious clues.... trucks of this era did NOT come with a hitch from the factory.
WAIT!!!! A “tow package” on a Bronco did not come from factory with a hitch? So all hitches on all Broncos from this era are aftermarket? Might explain my welded Hidden Hitch...hmmmm. What did the 7 pin connector attach to?

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts

WAIT!!!! A “tow package” on a Bronco did not come from factory with a hitch? So all hitches on all Broncos from this era are aftermarket? Might explain my welded Hidden Hitch...hmmmm. What did the 7 pin connector attach to?
Oddly enough, the sales literature doesn’t mention the tow package actually coming with a hitch: from the ‘93 sales brochure “Includes wiring harness; HD turn signal flasher; rear stabilizer bar (front is std.); quad front and HD rear shock absorbers; HD battery - 84 AH/850 C.C.A. (std. w/Eddie Bauer) plus super engine cooling (includes auxiliary transmission oil cooler w/ automatic transmission and 5.8L V-8 engine).”

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,871 Posts
Guess you just had to hang it from the safety chains around the bumper....... or Ford wasn’t liable because you modified the truck with a hitch, wonder if they weasled out of any warranty work with that?!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks to the mighty miesk5. It seems odd that they would have mentioned towing limits and adding all that stuff if a hitch weren’t already there..it’s a humdrum conundrum for sure..

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Thanks to the mighty miesk5. It seems odd that they would have mentioned towing limits and adding all that stuff if a hitch weren’t already there..it’s a humdrum conundrum for sure..
View attachment 164172
@miesk5 is awesome in the information he shares. He graciously provided the '93 sales brochure as well.

Per Carfax I'm the 5th owner of my Bronco, so fairly far removed from the purchase from Ford. Would be interesting to hear from an original owner if the hitch was factory installed, dealer installed or needed to be done by the owner after purchasing.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Crazy to think they expected that bumper to tow 7000 lbs. But I, obviously, know zip about hitches...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts