Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - about a year ago I took my 94 5.0 automatic on a weekend trip over the mountains to the desert east of San Diego.

While climbing the mountains coming back to town 4th gear (even with O/D switched off) couldn't pull the truck up the mountain much faster than about 50 or so for very long. While attempting to keep my speed at least 60mph it kept downshifting. Just before I got home I began getting hard 1-2 shifts, which seems to indicate the tranny was in safe mode.

I think I boiled my fluid and fried the torque converter...tranny was leaking a bit after I got home. I drove it a few times since and it now tends to stall in reverse and during/after abrupt stops.

Couple questions:

Does it sound like these are all transmission related problems? If so, what does it sound like I'm in for?

Does it sound normal that this truck can't make it up a moderately steep grade in top gear at 60mph? I don't want to fix it if the tranny is just going to blow up every time I go over the mountains. If it is normal, what can I do to rectify the problem - more power, better gearing, etc.?

·
Registered
146 Posts
It almost sounds like it was running low on fluid for a while then it finally failed during the extra load by going up the mountains..... but I could be wrong. You should pull codes first though to see what's up... I'm assuming E4OD?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems possible - I pulled the codes at the time and did a little googling. I've since had to replace the battery since it was sitting around for so long, so I can't be quite sure what the exact codes were, but if I recall correctly it had something to do with torque converter slipage. Also, yes - E40D.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Aaaah, memories. My tranny was acting weird and it finally gave up the ghost on that exact stretch of highway 8. I took that whole stretch in 2nd gear. I went the rest of the way home in 3rd at 55 mph. Not a fun feeling. I ended up replacing my tranny. :whiteflag

Check the fluid level, color, and smell. A remote filter and temp guage are a huge help for the E4OD.

I'm in San Carlos BTW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts