Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not sure what hubs i have but here's the question. When I pull my shifter into 4 Hi it shows up on the dash but no clicking noise from the hubs and definitely no 4x4 HI. But can't shift into 4 Lo or 2 Hi. Shifter won't go foward. Tried backing up and pulling foward. Tried coasting in nuetral foward and back and no shifting at all. Would I have auto. hubs or manual? not sure what came with truck...owner's manual says just shift into whatever you desire (so i figure auto hubs...but thought push button 4x4 only had auto hubs) any help would be much appreciated...

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
This is like a trainwreck of thought.

This is what i am gathering from it:

You have a manual shift BW1356 with auto-hubs. You can shift into 4 Hi, but don't think you're actually in 4-Hi, and you're having troubles shifting back into 2-Hi or 4-Lo?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is like a trainwreck of thought.

This is what i am gathering from it:

You have a manual shift BW1356 with auto-hubs. You can shift into 4 Hi, but don't think you're actually in 4-Hi, and you're having troubles shifting back into 2-Hi or 4-Lo?

I'm guessing I have auto-hubs. And I can't shift at all into 4-lo and 2-hi. and correct on the 4-hi.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Walk out and look at your hubs. If there is a dial on the hub and you can change them from "Lock" to "Free" you have manual hubs. If it's just a rounded casing on the front of the hub, you have auto hubs.

If you don't engage your manual hubs, 4hi will only be 2hi and the driveshaft will just spin, not the front axle.

When is the last time the fluid was checked/changed in the transfer case?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gotta take off the caps and it's later here so will check in the morning. I believe i have manual because of the dial, but couldn't turn it. Is there a special tool i need or just a pair of pliers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so no caps here on the front axle and it even says "Auto 4x4" so DUH!!! lol. But still have the problem. But I messed up the post. I CAN shift into 4 LO (Pull shifter back), but can't shift into 4 HI and 2 LO (Push Shifter Forward). It won't budge. any hints or tips? thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
On the BW1356 the shift lever must be pushed down like you're pushing it through the floorboard when going from Neutral to 4H or from 4H to neutral.. Dirt and grime will sometimes make this hard to do. You may need to get under there or remove the boot inside the cab (for access) and clean the linkage. You will be able to see where the linkage depresses to go into neutral. Clean, clean, clean. I have had do this myself. Try tapping (not hitting) the top of the shift lever with a mallet or hammer. This will sometimes dislodge the shift lever. If your shift lever does move up and down freely as is, I have just waisted time for both of us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the BW1356 the shift lever must be pushed down like you're pushing it through the floorboard when going from Neutral to 4H or from 4H to neutral.. Dirt and grime will sometimes make this hard to do. You may need to get under there or remove the boot inside the cab (for access) and clean the linkage. You will be able to see where the linkage depresses to go into neutral. Clean, clean, clean. I have had do this myself. Try tapping (not hitting) the top of the shift lever with a mallet or hammer. This will sometimes dislodge the shift lever. If your shift lever does move up and down freely as is, I have just waisted time for both of us.

I played with the shift lever and hit it with a low-blo but no such luck. no movement up or down. so not sure what it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!!!! So I drained the T-Case and refilled it, played with the boot underneath (cleaned and reinstalled) and still beat on the shifter...still no dice. anyone have any other ideas? thanks!

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Update!!!! So I drained the T-Case and refilled it, played with the boot underneath (cleaned and reinstalled) and still beat on the shifter...still no dice. anyone have any other ideas? thanks!
DON'T beat on the shifter or you'll be finding another and they are NOT cheap (from the dealer I believe this will set you back $265 or so).

I'm still a little confused as Rob was, can you go over the current situation 1 more time? Am I correct in stating:

1) you have auto locking hubs
2) when you shifted into 4hi the dash 4x4 light came on and somehow you know you have not actually engaged the front axle? How did you confirm this?
3) you can shift to 4 low, but you cannot shift from 4hi back to 2wd (which would also turn your 4x4 light off on the dash?

When you get a chance if the truck is still stuck in 4x4 high, go out and try to turn the front driveshaft with your hand. If your transfer case is truly in 4x4 high you should not be able to spin the front driveshaft. If this is the case, you have a problem with your front auto hubs. otherwise you have some kind of Tcase issue.

You sure you're comfortable and understand how the shifter operates now? the manuals really are an easy push forward from 4x4 high to go back to 2wd. And from 4x4 high your shifter has a plunger, so you push down on the shifter first (this gets you around a gate in the mechanism right below, kinda a safety feature so you don't accidently shift into 4lo).

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Thisis from page 193 of the users manual I posted a link to above.

To shift between 4H and 4L:
Stop the vehicle and place the automatic
transmission into NEUTRAL or depress the
clutch on manual transmission vehicles. Push the
transfer case shift knob down (toward the
ground) and at the same time pull or push the
lever straight forward or rearward (depending
on the desired position, 4H or 4L) in order to
shift the transfer case. This shift should be in
one continuous motion without pausing in the N
(neutral) position. Pausing in the neutral position
can result in gear clash and difficult shifting. If,
while shifting between 4H and 4L, the transfer
case gets stuck in the N (neutral) position or is
difficult to shift into either 4H or 4L, it may be
necessary to let the vehicle roll slightly and/or
turn off the engine (particularly on vehicles
equipped with automatic transmissions).
To shift into and out of N (neutral)
To shift into N (neutral), stop the vehicle and
engage the parking brake. Place the automatic
transmission into NEUTRAL or depress the
clutch. From either the 4H or 4L position, push
the transfer case shift knob down (toward the
ground) and move the transfer case shift lever to
the N (neutral) position. The N (neutral) position
should only be used for vehicle towing.
NOTE: Dash mounted four wheel drive
indicator lights are off when your
vehicle is in neutral.
To shift from N (Neutral) to either 4H or 4L,
stop the vehicle and engage the parking brake.
Place the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL
or depress the clutch on manual transmission
vehicles. Push the transfer case knob down
(toward the ground) and at the same time move
the transfer case shift lever to the desired
position. If it is difficult to shift into either 4H or
4L, it may be necessary to let the vehicle roll
slightly and/or turn off the engine (particularly
on vehicles equipped with automatic
transmissions).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts